Heater tubes were leaking, now fixed.

• Sponsors (?)

Eric90GT

Aug 12, 2002
Salem, NH
I got it off without a problem. Hopefully I can find that o ring @ the home depot tonight as well as something to reflare the end. Mine doesn't look as bad as the ones in this thread, or the tutorial... but it was a very slight leak, but enough to puddle on top of the timing cover.

Attachments

ratio411

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
Pensacola FL
...something to reflare the end.
I used a larger punch, don't know the technical name, but it got fatter gradually towards the top, and was fat enough at the tip that it didn't bottom out in the tube. I hammered it in, expanding the end just enough to hold the fitting. I had the fitting pushed all the way up as high as it would go, so it didn't inhibit the expansion. That's about the best I can offer for advice.

I think the best advice for taking the fitting off initially is to only reduce the flare just enough to force the fitting off. Too much and I think you are asking for problems.

Reactions: davis3

94GTCoupe

10 Year Member
May 7, 2006
CA
Good advice Ratio,
You should add that to the How To, so all the info is in one place.

Eric90GT

Aug 12, 2002
Salem, NH
I used a pointed brass attachment for my air hammer until i decided to put the flared side against the anvil on my vice and tap the top of the pipe... seemed to work a bit better

ratio411

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
Pensacola FL
I used a pointed brass attachment for my air hammer until i decided to put the flared side against the anvil on my vice and tap the top of the pipe... seemed to work a bit better
Brass is too soft.
It would have to be hardend steel, like a punch.
Smacking downward on it, as you seem to describe, wouldn't expand the end it seems to me.