Heating A/C Problem

Ok. So I have a 96 Mustang GT with 144,000 Miles. The engine runs strong and i have no problems other than with my heating and air conditioning.

The temperature control works. it gets hot when i turn the heat on and it gets cold when i turn it to the A/C. The problem comes with the "way" it comes out. Nomatter what setting it is on (floor, vent, one by the windshield or mix) it always blows out of duct right underneath the windshield (the defrost i guess)

Its really starting to make me hostile because summers in nebraska can be very very hot. :mad:

Does anybody know what this could be?! I'm confused and dont wanna take it to a shop cause im to broke for that! LOL! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure how that model year works, but there are doors operated by vacuum controls that direct the air flow. You could have a vacuum line pulled loose under the dash, or a cracked line, or the vacuum acutator itself could be bad. A good haynes/chilton book should show you where the acutator is. You can always use a vacuum pump to make sure it is operating properly. If not, replace it. Otherwise find out where the vacuum leak is and the problem will go away. Good candidate is the control itself which routes vacuum to the right places...

+1.Did you do or have any radio work done since this problem or been in the dash any.I pinched a vacuum hose once while installing a radio and had similar issues.Also on my gt my vents wouldnt work right and I tried everything to figure it out for about 2 weeks,come to find out the vent door under the passenger dash was blocked by a damn plastic grocery bag...I still dont know how that sucked up in there since the inside of my cars stay very clean at all times.But the windsheild vents are the only ones that would blow air.

Yup, vacuum leak, broken or disconnected line.

I beleive there is one vac line dead center that controls this. That's how it is on the Fox but not sure if the Sn95 is the same setup

Blowing under the windshield is the default position when there is no vacuumm at all. Maybe the main vacuum supply line got damaged or disconnected. Have you checked all vacuum lines on the engine bay side going in the car through the firewall? Maybe it got disconnected while doing some engine work.