Hedman Long Tube Headers

OneStiffGT

Jan 18, 2006
Canada
I've been reading on other forums that some people are having problems with their headers.

I got a set of Hedman Longtubes with my 99 GT, its not yet installed, and I have no idea if I should install them or not. I've heard people saying they start leaking after a year, and the welds crack etc... Is this true? Or are they actually good headers?

• Sponsors (?)

headman is kind of like a story of two companies. there regular headers kind of suck IMO. I have had them before. on other cars.

there elite headers are kind of nice. thicker tubing ball and socket connections etc. I bought my dad a set for a 502 swap into his 92 they are nice looking.

there product is fairly new for the 4.6 I think so not sure on the quality. I know it is there standard line of header though so I am not sure would not buy them if I were purchasing. I would deffinatly run some stage 8 bolts or something as the flanges are proably thinner and gasket failure could happen. everytime I run a header with thinner flanges I have issues with keeping the bolts tight.

were the cracking issues you read about on the 4.6L model or just thier headers in general. one thing I can say about just normal hot road exhausts is noboby really calculates the harmonics of the ehxuast and puts the hangers in the right places sometimes. So cracking can be issues just do to installation error. there is not weld in the word that will hold if you put enough vibration through it for a long enough period of time at the tubing thickness of a header.

I've only had experience with them on an older 350. They looked great, but after several hours trying to install them I realized... someone at Hedman found an extra set laying around, and just slapped SBC flanges on it. They were the worst thought out headers I've ever messed with. With standard plugs I had to crawl under the truck to change three plugs, and one didn't even have enough room for a plug socket. Running Accel shorty plugs I still have to crawl underneath to change that one with an open end wrench...

It sounded great driving to the muffler shop, and when he got it up on the rack he commented on my nice looker headers. I just frowned and said I'll never use Hedman again, and he replied, "oh, enough said"...

So, just my two cents... and ONE experience...

I had a set of hedman headers on my 92 camaro and never had a problem with getting them to stay on. Getting them on wasnt too hard either, just had to move them just right. Never leaked and never cracked.

I bought them used from a friend who had them on a 91 camaro with a 383 stroker on it. He used them for at least 2 years to my knowledge and no problems.

This is the 1st post I've heard about someone saying something about them cracking or leaking after X amount of use.

No experiance with their 4.6 Headers, but I did put them on the my old 67' Dodge Dart 340ci and I thought the quality of them was terrible, the gauge of the metal seemed to be thinner than the other leading brands (Hooker) and they overall design seemed to be sub par... They were the cheapest ones I could find so in this particular case you definately got what you paid for. But like I said that was a totally different situation their 4.6l headers could be very good... I myself would just never buy them from my own personal experiance...