Heel-toe downshifting techniques

metroplex

Sep 7, 2003
SE MI
Let's hear some of your heel-toe downshifting techniques: How are you using your right foot to control the brake and throttle?

I wear size 11-12 shoes and find it difficult to find a position where I have great brake pedal feedback/control AND be able to blip the throttle. My normal driving position is to rest my right heel on the floorboard.

• Sponsors (?)

I still dont understand why this is necessary. Admittedly, I have no experience with racing, so I need to be educated. Why cant you just let off the clutch at the point that the downshift is not going to be so hard, or at the point that you are back to accelerating? As an example, say I am going from 80mph to 20 mph. I could shift from 3rd to 2nd at 60mph, which would require a throttle blip. Or I can just rely on the brakes until I hit 20mph, and then just let of the clutch. Do you gain significant advantage by putting it in gear sooner? I guess what I am saying is, what is so bad about keeping the clutch to the floor while braking?

For normal driving on the street, I would agree with you. Heel-toe downshifting seems to be the only way to properly brake before corners and keep the engine operating within the powerband.

The Audi Directshift gearbox, Porsche Dopplekeplung, and other dual-clutch manual transmissions and the upcoming 370Z's manual systems all prevent the need for the 3 pedal dance since they blip the throttle and/or apply the clutch automatically.

For normal driving on the street, I would agree with you. Heel-toe downshifting seems to be the only way to properly brake before corners and keep the engine operating within the powerband.

The Audi Directshift gearbox, Porsche Dopplekeplung, and other dual-clutch manual transmissions and the upcoming 370Z's manual systems all prevent the need for the 3 pedal dance since they blip the throttle and/or apply the clutch automatically.

yeah, I have been following the recent developments in tranny technology as well, and have noticed the emphasis on downshift bliping. That is what got me to thinking about it too. I guess once I finally get the stang to a track, I'll be able to really get a feel for why heel-toe is important.

One time, I downshifted while decelerating down an off-ramp, without a throttle blip, and the downshift was so violent it locked the rear wheels for a second and the back end came out a bit. That was scary.

I am going to head to a Nissan dealer and test drive the new 370Z, to see what fun I can have with the downshift blipping. It might be hella fun. I would not know because I dont know how to do heel-toe. I'd love to take a road racing class, but as far as I know, nothing like that exists in my area.

it can be done

I just got my new 09 gt. And put 2000 miles on it in a month.
I wear a size 8.5 running shoe. I am able to heel-toe pretty well. There is a huge advantage to downshifting before turning, during the turn and exit your in the right gear for the most power. I practiced by using the heel-toe downshift technique whenever i have to stop, its much easier to do then when your are doing it before a turn. There is one less thing to thing about at you burn the technique into your brain to make it second nature. Plus its more fun and sounds cool as you downshift. I have found that double clutching and heel-toeing the downshift makes for the smoothest possible downshift. Your feet are busy, but you can impress your passengers.

By the way, the new mustang is amazing. I have a '66 fastback with a '90 fuel-injected 5.0L and this car is the only new car that ive driven that can compare to the fun of an old car.

it can be done

I just got my new 09 gt. And put 2000 miles on it in a month.
I wear a size 8.5 running shoe. I am able to heel-toe pretty well. There is a huge advantage to downshifting before turning, during the turn and exit your in the right gear for the most power. I practiced by using the heel-toe downshift technique whenever i have to stop, its much easier to do then when your are doing it before a turn. There is one less thing to think about at you burn the technique into your brain to make it second nature. Plus its more fun and sounds cool as you downshift. I have found that double clutching and heel-toeing the downshift makes for the smoothest possible downshift. Your feet are busy, but you can impress your passengers.

By the way, the new mustang is amazing. I have a '66 fastback with a '90 fuel-injected 5.0L and this car is the only new car that ive driven that can compare to the fun of an old car.

Thanks for the tips Wats. I am going to start practicing that while stopping. By, "double clutching", do you mean putting the clutch in and out a couple times as you downshift?

I agree, these mustangs are amazing cars. I drove 3.5 hours today just to drop some mail at the post office (which is about a mile away from my house). I just did not want to stop driving. :D

Double clutching when downshifting goes as follows:

Clutch in, put car in neutral, let clutch out, blip throttle, clutch in, shift to the desired lower gear. Many commercial truck require this process because they lack synchonizers, without double clutching, the truck will not go into gear. Some also require double clutching when upshifting. Many racecars are the same way except that you do not need the clutch unless you are leaving from a dead stop.

I'm not sure double-clutching is even useful with our manual gearboxes. I read in Car and Driver about the NASCAR car of tomorrow not needing the clutch other than leaving from a stop, which makes sense. I plan to just use the clutch as intended on a synchronized gearbox.

brake pads and rotors are certainly cheaper than any transmission work, but you cant beat the sound of a good downshift. :D And I think the 3650 is probably strong enough to handle a lot of abuse. I could be wrong.:shrug:

I am going to play around with the heel-toe double-clutch downshifting, it might add a whole new element of fun to the daily drive.

Nascars dont require the clutch at speed? How does that work?

I wear a 10.5 or 11 depending and I H&T all the time which is great to squeeze that little extra bite out of the GT's inadequate stock brakes. Learn to use your big toe to brake and use the side of your foot to hit the gas appropriately. Get plenty of practice because throttle lag and a 40+ lb flywheel requires you to be more precise with your timing.

Also on the subject of double clutching. It's 2008. Syhcromesh transmissions have eliminated ALL reasons to do that so don't waste your time and your tranny doing something it's already doing for you. H&T is merely the used to help you smooth out transitions from high to low gears for safer and more consistent driving.

I wear a 10.5 or 11 depending and I H&T all the time which is great to squeeze that little extra bite out of the GT's inadequate stock brakes. Learn to use your big toe to brake and use the side of your foot to hit the gas appropriately. Get plenty of practice because throttle lag and a 40+ lb flywheel requires you to be more precise with your timing.

Also on the subject of double clutching. It's 2008. Syhcromesh transmissions have eliminated ALL reasons to do that so don't waste your time and your tranny doing something it's already doing for you. H&T is merely the used to help you smooth out transitions from high to low gears for safer and more consistent driving.

What do you recommend to guys with size 16 shoes?:( My foot hits the brake pedal just below the ball of my big toe.

yikes I'd say get smaller pedals and practice but I can't think of any aftermarket pedal set that is smaller then the stock ones. If anything most are bigger to help with advanced driving techniques but that would only make matters worse for you.

I do find myself (especially with the clutch) pushing the pedal stick way at the top with my toes and using the (palm?) of my foot when releasing the pedal. Maybe you can do that with the brake and use the side of your foot for the gas?

yikes I'd say get smaller pedals and practice but I can't think of any aftermarket pedal set that is smaller then the stock ones. If anything most are bigger to help with advanced driving techniques but that would only make matters worse for you.

I do find myself (especially with the clutch) pushing the pedal stick way at the top with my toes and using the (palm?) of my foot when releasing the pedal. Maybe you can do that with the brake and use the side of your foot for the gas?

I'll have to give it a try when the weather gets good enough to get her out and play. I hate snow:notnice: