HEI distributor

LAFF

Enough to make my old Nipples hard
Jul 2, 2019
Chillicothe, Missouri
Since my engine arrived we looked it over all is good.
After posting pictures of it, it was brought to my attention that I have a HEI distributor. Built in coil.
Going from a stock v6–1983 to The BluePrint 302, how do you wire this?
I am going to start making phone calls Monday, but thought some of you here could tell me.
Like to be able to sleep without thinking about it too much.

• Sponsors (?)

Since my engine arrived we looked it over all is good.
After posting pictures of it, it was brought to my attention that I have a HEI distributor. Built in coil.
Going from a stock v6–1983 to The BluePrint 302, how do you wire this?
I am going to start making phone calls Monday, but thought some of you here could tell me.
Like to be able to sleep without thinking about it too much.
With what little info on it we have it Looks a proform by your pics since it seems they are one of the only ones to offer the built in coil type for a 302 . There should be 2 wires . One is a hot wire which I’d use your old coil hot wire to power it . Thats it and the car should fire . Everything is self contained in it . There should be one more lead and that’s the tach signal . You may need a signal box you may not but you can feed the stock tach with it and you’ll be set

With what little info on it we have it Looks a proform by your pics since it seems they are one of the only ones to offer the built in coil type for a 302 . There should be 2 wires . One is a hot wire which I’d use your old coil hot wire to power it . Thats it and the car should fire . Everything is self contained in it . There should be one more lead and that’s the tach signal . You may need a signal box you may not but you can feed the stock tach with it and you’ll be set
I’M just trying to have everything that I need here before Randy gets back from his vacation.
I figured the hot wire would go to the distributor, but where does the other wire on the coil go?
Thanks for responding, I’m outta my element here.
Also something about a resistance wire I read. Nothing was explained.
Wait a minute— just dawned on me.
The wire to the coil is the hot wire.
Senior moment.
What about the resistance wire they spoke of?

I’M just trying to have everything that I need here before Randy gets back from his vacation.
I figured the hot wire would go to the distributor, but where does the other wire on the coil go?
Thanks for responding, I’m outta my element here.
Also something about a resistance wire I read. Nothing was explained.
Wait a minute— just dawned on me.
The wire to the coil is the hot wire.
Senior moment.
What about the resistance wire they spoke of?
Pro form mentions one hot wire . That feeds the whole coil and unit . Then one extra wire is a tachometer feed so your tach will still work . That’s it

If that is the dist you have . It looks like it , seems to be the only one that makes an all in one unit for a 302 so I’m sticking with that concenus . lol
Gotta love those cheap $55 eBay hei distributors. We’ve probably used 5 of those in the past year with different cars and never had issues. Taiwan sure has the hei game locked down.

Gotta love those cheap $55 eBay hei distributors. We’ve probably used 5 of those in the past year with different cars and never had issues. Taiwan sure has the hei game locked down.
Lmao ! For a simple cruiser I don’t think you could beat a all in one package like that

I've put one on a 302 before. They work fine. It's based on a Chevy distributor. If you ever need parts like a cap or rotor, just ask for stuff for an 85' Camaro. All the energy from the coil to the rotor is transferred through this little spring in there. It doesn't last long; about a year on average. Also, if you want a nice plug pig tail to plug into it instead of just a spade connector, ask for an alternator pigtail for the same Camaro. Should be about $4. I think you might have to cut the clip off the side of it, but it works well.

Kurt

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
I've put one on a 302 before. They work fine. It's based on a Chevy distributor. If you ever need parts like a cap or rotor, just ask for stuff for an 85' Camaro. All the energy from the coil to the rotor is transferred through this little spring in there. It doesn't last long; about a year on average. Also, if you want a nice plug pig tail to plug into it instead of just a spade connector, ask for an alternator pigtail for the same Camaro. Should be about $4. I think you might have to cut the clip off the side of it, but it works well.

Kurt
Thank you very much.
After I realized what I had I ordered the clip for the battery, and tach.
Never even knew an HEI existed.
Learn something new everyday.
Thanks for the heads up.
I can use every tip I get : )