Heidt's MII suspension DOES NOT change engine position: PROOF

reenmachine

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
San Diego, CA
Here is it once and for all -- this test is actually scientific and completely valid.

Two fastbacks side by side, a '67 and '68, which for all purposes here are identical. Both all-original sheet metal and undercarriage. Both confirmed square and straight to factory specifications.

The green car has a Heidt's MII IFS installed by me, with the Heidt's motor mount stands connected to new stock motor mounts. I sized the motor mount stands to leave a more-than-adequate 3/8" clearance between the oil pan and the power rack at the closest point.

The blue car has an RRS front suspension, with the important point being that the motor mounting is identical to stock. New stock motor mounts identical to those on the green car.

Identical FRPP GT40 crate engines.

Identical WC T-5 transmissions, identical trans mounts, identical RMP crossmembers.

So in summary, every variable is exactly the same between the two except for the front suspension/engine mounting scheme.

No intake manifolds in place -- I am measuring between the deck where the intake manifold rests (front and rear) and the underside of the hood along the centerline.

There is no grille, radiator, condenser, etc. in either car, so getting accurate measurements is easy.

The measurements are the same between the two cars.

Forward and back is easy -- the shifter comes up through the hole in the exact same spot.

So there you have it. No matter how many times Fatman puts in his ads that "...adapting a Mustang II type suspension requires moving the engine up and forward..." DON'T BELIEVE IT.

0198.jpg

Attachments

• 0198.jpg
    0198.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 166
  • Sponsors (?)