Fox Hello From Nj

Dense Speed

Oct 27, 2013
In early 2016 the NJ MVC put a notice on their website that cars made in 1995 and prior are no longer required to submit to an emissions inspection. This reminded me that i have an '86 GT sitting in the garage, half disassembled. I bought the car in December 1986 and drove it until 1995 at which time it needed paint and a bunch of other, mostly cosmetic odds and ends. Its been sitting in the garage since 1995 but life gets busy and i got distracted by homes, getting married, bikes, les paul's and marshall amps, starting a career and then semi-retiring. Now with some time on my hands i've started tinkering with the gt. Will probably get QQ tags as well. Why not?

I enjoyed daveacarpainter's paint posting. Soon to discover more. I'm more than happy to share pics as i work on mine. Rock on, Kevin

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

In early 2016 the NJ MVC put a notice on their website that cars made in 1995 and prior are no longer required to submit to an emissions inspection. This reminded me that i have an '86 GT sitting in the garage, half disassembled. I bought the car in December 1986 and drove it until 1995 at which time it needed paint and a bunch of other, mostly cosmetic odds and ends. Its been sitting in the garage since 1995 but life gets busy and i got distracted by homes, getting married, bikes, les paul's and marshall amps, starting a career and then semi-retiring. Now with some time on my hands i've started tinkering with the gt. Will probably get QQ tags as well. Why not?

I enjoyed daveacarpainter's paint posting. Soon to discover more. I'm more than happy to share pics as i work on mine. Rock on, Kevin
An '86 GT is a good thing, especially since you had it so long.

Post pictures! I'd love to see it. If you need help with paint, either PM me or just tag me in your post. Like this here, let's say I wanted a grouchy opinion from some one, I would post @madmike1157 . You need to put the @ sign before their user name and they will get notified.

Last time I checked, the qq registration renewal was every 3 years and had no renewal fee. That's good.

Saving $55 on yearly registration a year will probably cause you to have driving restrictions.
IMO, the new law made QQ plates obsolete.

What I haven't figured out yet is what they do about the inspection sticker. I gotta assume the cops don't love no sticker at all.

Saving $55 on yearly registration a year will probably cause you to have driving restrictions.
IMO, the new law made QQ plates obsolete.

What I haven't figured out yet is what they do about the inspection sticker. I gotta assume the cops don't love no sticker at all.

Not sure what qq plates are, being from Texas.. But they just did away with our inspection stickers as well. We still have to get inspected, but instead of a sticker we get a certificate, and that is used to purchase state registration sticker. So.. No inspection, no registration tags. That's how they're getting us.

Edit: We've also had antique plates available for a long time, and it's my understanding that inspection isn't required with them..

In, PA we don't have inspection stickers for antique registered vehicles. I got pulled over last year because of no sticker. The officer came to my door and apologized for not realizing I had an antique tag. I'm sure the police are not a fan and would prefer some kind of lifetime "exempt" sticker.

Not sure what qq plates are, being from Texas.. But they just did away with our inspection stickers as well. We still have to get inspected, but instead of a sticker we get a certificate, and that is used to purchase state registration sticker. So.. No inspection, no registration tags. That's how they're getting us.

Edit: We've also had antique plates available for a long time, and it's my understanding that inspection isn't required with them..

Antique and QQ plates are probably the same.
I think you get 3000 miles a year, no emissions or safety inspection.

Fortunately in NJ now 1995 and older cars are exempt from all inspections to save money on sniffer testing and, with 200,000 1995 and older cars on the road, 15% being problematic and 2500 being taken off the road a month in a state this populated it's really a non issue anymore. The tree huggers are pissed, but they don't realize it's a drop in the bucket.

Raceholic is right, they really should just give out a lifetime sticker. Certain towns in my area are heavily into inspection tickets, they are like $200 fines, so I can only imagine how bad they are going to harass guys without stickers. No tickets will be issued for old cars but it's still a hassle.

If you run collector plates, I guess for those cars it probably lets cops know to not bother. For those of us that will run regular plates, I guess we will see...

The state inspectors at my job in Maryland are telling me that historic tagged cars here are going to need inspections. For years it was no inspection for historic plates. Too many people running around with trashed out caprices, I guess.

The state inspectors at my job in Maryland are telling me that historic tagged cars here are going to need inspections. For years it was no inspection for historic plates. Too many people running around with trashed out caprices, I guess.

Is that where all the caprices went? Man, you never see them here, unless it's a donk. And those are few.