Hello from pottstown pa. Wiring question

mister406

Dec 5, 2020
pottstown pa
Hello, I just bought a 1986 convertible. It was a v-6 but I pulled thatout in order to put in a 302. I am removing the computer and the monstorous wireing harness. I got the computer out but the harness is giving me a prob. I have it completly out but there are 4 wires still going thru the gromet hole. I can t see where they go but they are solidly in there. They consist of a yellow ,red,and 2 brown or grey wires. It appears they go thru the hole and up towards the dash but I can not feel or see them from the inside. Does any body know what they are? i know they are not the fuel relay as that is outside allready. Sure would apprec any info. Since i am not going to run the computer i might end up cutting them but hate to do so without know what they are. Thanks guys !

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome:

We should move this to the FOX section so you can get faster help

What harness are you removing? The engine harness that terminates at the firewall at a block, or the block back to the ECU?

Picture if possible of both in the engine bay and that inside the car under the dash.

Have you pulled the dash? That instrument cluster will need replaced also

Hello, I am removing the entire computer harness. The computer is allready out. I will not need any of that for what i am doing. i am going to run a 302 but old school style. like before computers. it will be carborated, not injected .i am going to use a msd system along with aftermarket gauges. as i said the entire harness is out of the firewalll except for 4 wires.It feels like they are attachec to something but i can not locate where. Thanks

I have followed them out to the engine bay. I was wondering where they go in the car. The wirs i followed went to various plugs. I am thinking these wire went from sensors to gauges on the dash but not sure.. I really do not want to pull the dash out. this was was in various stages of disassembly when i bought it and now i am trying to figure it all out. i never worked on a car this new yet alone a mustang. my other toy is a 62 G code galaxie i bought in 1973. That car was easier than the mustang to work on.

Then where are you putting the gauges?
If they are sensor wires they would be bundled with the computer harness, if sender (like for oil/temp gauge) they may be by themselves.
We are talking about a V6 mustang so not alot of members here with experience there, just roll them up and zip tie them outta the way for now and you can follow up with them if/when you pull the instruments for your gauge swap.

I am new here and not sure how to transfer this post.
Its all good, "The Man" took care of the transfer for us.

Yes you will have to take the gauges out because all that dash cluster is for the V6 and you need a cluster for the V8. (HAAAA V8 Swaps are always a Cluster) But as posted above. Yes just wire tie them to the side so that they are intact for future possible use.

Just a Question here: Have you rear/researched the V6-V8 swap in depth? We have threads that are pretty detailed and many members who have hands on in this thing.

The wires in question were wrapped up in tape and ran inside of the main computer harness thru the firewall. I have traced the yellow wire out to a plug that went somewhere on the engine. I am thinking that they are for gauges in the dash but not sure. In any event, they are stopping me from removing the harness from the car. There are 4 wires ,yellow,red,and 2 light brown or grey wires.They appear to go thru the grommet and then turn up and to the left but I could be wrong about that.I do not believe they went to the computer because the computer is laying on my workbench. short of unravelling the entire harness,I can not remove it from the car. I will not need any of the computer components as this going to be built old school like pre-computer cars. I should mention that everything in the car works without the computer being hooked up. but there is no way to see if the gauges work as it sits. not that big of a deal as aftermarket gauges will be installed. I just need to get the harness out !

Id say if in the end you are going to cut the wires, cut them LOOOOONG so you can have enough to splice back in when you do find out what they went to.

Pictures are defiantly going to help at this juncture though.

Hi , Irealize about the pics,but, I unraveled the harness and traced the wires. The red one went to a juncture with 6 orther red wires. The yellow one went to a connector for a senser i believe, and the 2 light brown wires went to the 60 pin computer plug or whatever it is called. I cut them about 2 ft long and removed the trest of the mess from the engine bay.I do not believe i will need these 4 wires , but cut them long just in case. Now i am trying to see if i have a switched hot wire. I located a hot black wire from the starter selonoid so that is a start.if i have to i can always run a new wire that will get hot when the key is turned on. Should be all i need to continue i think. Thanks for the help from you guys !