Hello Stangnet!!

turbomx6

Feb 15, 2004
JAX, FL
hi , my name is IGGY and I just bought a T-bird T3 5 speed . Cars is fun to drive. I don't know if you all know ,and its kinda neat that my 88 MX6 turbo can use t-bird IHI turbo upgrade without any mods. Go T-Bird!!!

I have stock down pipe and I would like to upgrade it top 3 inch .Is there anything other than ATR downpipe?? Its kinda expensive , though..

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• MVC-019F.JPG
    MVC-019F.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 187
  • MVC-007F.JPG
    MVC-007F.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 182
  • Sponsors (?)

Welcome to the forums!

Did you buy that Thunderbird set up the way it is? I notice from the dash that it must be an '87 or '88. Looks like it has a front-mount IC and a blowoff valve too. Would like to see a better pic of the engine bay.

As for the exhaust, well, I wouldn't recommend the ATR downpipe anyway. It's expensive and you have to use an external wastegate. Stinger has one that he sells (in fact I have one of his on my car) plus there are some other places that sell em. And they aren't that expensive either.

RedLX your car looks good .I saw your under bay and It looks like mine Airbox/VAF is turned and air is geting in from the front. I noticed that black resonator tube was still inside of fender.
Also I think EGR valve was disabled, b/c tube that goes to header is blocked off . Also ac is removed. I have stock downpipe , glasspack tube and side exit. I only need 3 inch down pipe and Im gona use my Trush 28 inch glasspack , no cat , side exit with nice Gibson angle cut tip or even DTM tip.I will take more day time pics for you.

a351Must2 said:
Actually, the turbo look like a Garrett T03, not an IHI. If it's an 87 or 88 T-Bird, then it's already had a turbo upgrade done to it.

You are right, its not IHI . I'm just saying IHI turbo is same as MX6 turbo only bigger(T-Bird). T-Birds have either A.R. .60 or IHI . right ?
My T-Bird doesnt have Garrett. Its Air Research . 60.

RedLX ,Volvo Intercooler. It's ok . Doesn't get much front air . I'm going to to Dremel an opening and later paint the hole car black.

It also has a aftermarket FPR and gauge, manual control fan switch(keep thing cool in Summer) , Ac was removed. I only have glasspack tube and 45 that exits right before rear tire. Tires in rear are 255-50-16 Firehawks z50 .They are awesome in rain. I'll post pics later.
thanks for replys guys.

I saw Stinger downpipe. It looks chaep and it doesnt even have a flex pipe. I guess its a lot better than stocker :nice:

turbomx6 said:
You are right, its not IHI . I'm just saying IHI turbo is same as MX6 turbo only bigger(T-Bird). T-Birds have either A.R. .60 or IHI . right ?
My T-Bird doesnt have Garrett. Its Air Research . 60.

RedLX ,Volvo Intercooler. It's ok . Doesn't get much front air . I'm going to to Dremel an opening and later paint the hole car black.

It also has a aftermarket FPR and gauge, manual control fan switch(keep thing cool in Summer) , Ac was removed. I only have glasspack tube and 45 that exits right before rear tire. Tires in rear are 255-50-16 Firehawks z50 .They are awesome in rain. I'll post pics later.
thanks for replys guys.

I saw Stinger downpipe. It looks chaep and it doesnt even have a flex pipe. I guess its a lot better than stocker :nice:

The way I understand it and people can correct me if I'm wrong, is that both the IHI and T-03 was made by Air Research. The 83-86' TC's came stock with the T-03 while the 87-88'TC's came with the IHI. Unless its been upgraded already :)

As for that DP from ATR, man that thing is sharp looking but way to much for me, Stingers is like 85.00 shipped I think and will be the way I go ;)

Air Research = Garrett, just like IHI = Warner Ishi

That does work out real nice for the MX6 since the stock takeoff IHI can be found pretty cheap.

Nice to hear more good words on the SZ50 tires too...I just bought a set for my Eclipse and just need to put them on. Washington = rain.

a351Must2 said:
Air Research = Garrett, just like IHI = Warner Ishi

That does work out real nice for the MX6 since the stock takeoff IHI can be found pretty cheap.

Nice to hear more good words on the SZ50 tires too...I just bought a set for my Eclipse and just need to put them on. Washington = rain.
thank you . finally some has expalined to me all the mistery about T-Bird turbo. so A.R. .60 and IHI are same just about same thing. both exhaust sides are T3, except one uses an Air research and one uses a Warner Ishi, I was just wondering if the auto and manual IHI compressor side and wheel were different ? there is a lot more auto TC out there..

Yep . 1G MX6 guys over at www.mx6.com are upgrading their turbos using IHI T-Bird. I'm not sure how SZ50 will work on your a lot lighter FWD Eclipse , but they work for me. :nice:

you guys could make T-Bird so light . I know guys at www.hairyglass.com and they make just about anything for TC. Its all Drag Race stuff, though. Tthey are making FIRST ever CF hood for my MX6 GT... :D

Red_LX said:
You don't need a flexpipe on the downpipe. If you do want one, JCWhitney sells em.

Oh yeah, is that wood overlay on the dash aftermarket or stock? blech

Don't you need some kind of flexing ?? I guess I could buy one overthere.
Wood overlay... I wish it wasn't there :( .I guess its stock ,I didn't put there. :D I want to paint it silver and install reverse indiglos.

turbomx6 said:
thank you . finally some has expalined to me all the mistery about T-Bird turbo. so A.R. .60 and IHI are same just about same thing. both exhaust sides are T3, except one uses an Air research and one uses a Warner Ishi, I was just wondering if the auto and manual IHI compressor side and wheel were different ? there is a lot more auto TC out there..

the T3 and the IHI are completely different turbochargers. yes they still bolt up fine but require different boltflanges. the AiResearch/Garret come in .48/.60 or .63/.60(some water cooled some not), the IHI I forget the specs)watercooled), but they are just an "IHI".

so I'm guessing the T3 might bolt up to your MX6 aswell huh...

silver pony said:
the T3 and the IHI are completely different turbochargers. yes they still bolt up fine but require different boltflanges. the AiResearch/Garret come in .48/.60 or .63/.60(some water cooled some not), the IHI I forget the specs)watercooled), but they are just an "IHI".

so I'm guessing the T3 might bolt up to your MX6 aswell huh...

nope , i wish. I could bolt up T-BIRD IHI compressor wheel(balanced) and the compressor housing on our stock IHI without changing anything else.

When I get it my FE3 ready for boost I will go with T-Bird T3 .. I don't wanna mess with MX6 stock IHI . I would have to make custom manifold and mind as well make it with T3 flange.