HELP!!! 06 Rear-end Whine

mikeh19d

Mar 2, 2011
... So I went and picked up my 06 from the shop after some routine maintenance and the tech asks me if I had noticed any noise coming from the rear end. I said everything seemed normal. He went on to say one of the other techs noticed a whining sound when the car was pulled into the shop. So when they got the wheels off the ground they started it up and put it in gear to listen. At first they thought it was the outside bearings but noticed the sound was coming from around the center of the axle. The tech mentioned to me that I might want to get it looked at soon. So I called the dealership and they told me without looking that it could cost $1200-$1500 to get it fixed. The service guy said it could be axle bearings or something with the gears, he couldn't tell without cracking it open... and there would be a nominal fee involved.
So all of this leads me to my questions:
1. Has anyone heard of the axle bearings going out on the 06 model?
2. Does anyone know of a good 'stang shop in or around Charlotte, NC?
3. Should it really cost over $1000 to get this done?

By the way, the car is a manual with just over 93,000 miles... Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm on my 4th set of 3.31's in my '09. All done under warranty. Next time the gears go, I'm putting a whole rear in - 3.73's.

Sometimes I think I do hear wheel bearing noise front and rear. I have noticed there are kits sold with rear bearings and seals. I also hear that the rear ends are made in Mexico, not sure if thats true or not. If so, there might be some "quality" issues....