Help 4.6 Engine Tick

Pruittracing

Nov 27, 2016
Waldorf md
Hello I'm new here first post now about my problem I have a 2000 mustang gt with the 4.6 it has 144.000 I'm having a tick coming from the engine it's a constant tick that gose with the rpms it dose it anytime the engine is on need help don't know if this helps but it dose burn a little oil and every now and then will smoke on start up I'm thinking that is the valve guide seals

• Sponsors (?)

Can you localize the tick to one side or the other? Top or bottom? Front or rear?

If it's one side or the other, it's possibly sticky valve lash adjuster. What grade of oil do you run?

Ticking from the top can also indicate a loose plug (compression & combustion pressure working its way past the threads...)

If it's coming from the bottom a rod bearing is possible.

If it's coming from the front of the engine you might have timing components -- guides, tensioners or tensioner arms -- on the way out.

Can you localize the tick to one side or the other? Top or bottom? Front or rear?

If it's one side or the other, it's possibly sticky valve lash adjuster. What grade of oil do you run?

Ticking from the top can also indicate a loose plug (compression & combustion pressure working its way past the threads...)

If it's coming from the bottom a rod bearing is possible.

If it's coming from the front of the engine you might have timing components -- guides, tensioners or tensioner arms -- on the way out.

Okay so I want out and listened to the tick it's coming from the driver side valve cover to the back of the firewall could it be a lose rocker arm or Valve also do you know if they can be adjusted

There's no provision for adjustment, unfortunately. If you've checked the plugs on those cylinders and they're nice and secure and, if you're worried about the sound, the next step would be to remove the valve cover on that side for a visual inspection.