Help! (92LX with factory premium sound).No sound with new Pioneer head unit.Long post

MustangLX-5.0

Founding Member
Dec 2, 2000
Lehigh Acres Fla.
Unit being installed - Pioneer DEH-P7200

Allright,this is the problem.First,I just got this CD deck from a friend at work and I know for a fact that it works.So,I bought one of those wiring harness adaptors that connect to the old factory radio harness for '86 & up Fords.No problem getting the new harness wires properly connected to the new deck.But what I don't understand is why the wire colors on the new harness don't match the colors of the factory harness.On the new harness instructions it identifies all the wires,but one thing I don't get is how the red wire on the harness adaptor could be Acc wire when the wire it goes to on the factory harness is a black wire?There are also other wires that don't seem to match correctly.And on another note regarding this harness,I notice that the other factory harness (Usually the one for the speakers) has only 5 wires on it?And also when I get it all plugged in,the unit turns on but I cant get any sound.The car originally has the premium factory sound with the 6 speakers and external amplifier.

Is the factory amp getting in the way and will I have to tear out the dash so to remove this POS equipment.I need correct wire color codes and their descriptions.

One last thing here (It will be last).I know many of you are aware of that little black plastic tray that sits right underneath the radio.I noticed it is screwed directly to the factory radio.How in the hell am I going to fill this void or get the black tray back in if the new radio doesn't have any screw holes or mounts for this?The new deck surely wouldn't sit properly without it and I am certainly not going to leave a big hole there.

Thanks in advance.Sorry for the long ass post.And yes,I did a search.

• Sponsors (?)

the factory amp has a harness which all of your speaker wires come off of, you can purchase the harness adapter from a sound shop.

main power wires are different some times, ground, 12+ constant, and 12+ ignition are the only 3 wires you need to worry about. (red, orange/yellow, black)

JadeFalcon said:
the factory amp has a harness which all of your speaker wires come off of, you can purchase the harness adapter from a sound shop.

main power wires are different some times, ground, 12+ constant, and 12+ ignition are the only 3 wires you need to worry about. (red, orange/yellow, black)

the factory IS getting in the way, the 87-93's I have done use the same connectors for the amp, so you can use the harness you have and just plug it in after the amp.

That'll work.Thanks for the much needed info.I figured i'd have to bypass the factory amp.

The guy at the Circuit City sound shop was full of chit and doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.I"m not going to explain the details.Just know you don't always want to listen what some guy says at a retail electronics store.

MustangLX-5.0 said:
That'll work.Thanks for the much needed info.I figured i'd have to bypass the factory amp.

The guy at the Circuit City sound shop was full of chit and doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.I"m not going to explain the details.Just know you don't always want to listen what some guy says at a retail electronics store.

good luck!