HELP!! 94-95 MAF Conversion to FOX

04lvl2

Oct 13, 2011
Im picking up a 93 donor 4cyl LX car to swap my powertrain into. I currently have a 87 GT Speed Density car. Found someone local that had a E303 cam and MAF/ECM combo for sale so I picked it up. After I bought it I was looking at it and everything looks like its for a 94-95. The ECM part number is F48F-12B577-AA with code 4M14A on it, the MAF is F57E-12B579-DA. The question that I have is what are these components out of and is there a for sure place that I can find the instructions on how to convert the 94-95 MAF stuff to my fox? I have done alot of searching and have seen people do it but no instructions really on how to. Can I use the stock injectors with this setup? Any help would be appreciated, I just hoped that I wasnt ripped off. He said that all the stuff came off his 89GT.

Bill

• Sponsors (?)

Does it look like this?

F6SF12B577AA.jpg

The 95-95 MAF is plug and play: there are no wiring changes, no injector changes, no funny looking little boxes that plug into the computer and no chips to flash or plug in... Plug it in, connect up the air ducts. Disconnect the battery negative cable from the battery, turn the headlights on and wait 5 minutes. Reconnect the battery negative cable and you are done. This resets the computer's internal memory so that it will re-lean the adaptive settings.

You will need a flange to tubing adapter to mate the 4 bolt flange on the MAF to the slip fit rubber tubing. AutoZone may have one, or try Pro-M or Mass Air systems.

*1.) Metal flange adapter Ford MAF Adapters - Air Filters - Kurtz Kustomz Motorsports, Inc. KKM Buy the TR70 for $40. Or spend some time on eBay looking for one that may fit.

*2.) MAF & sensor interchange
The 94-95 Mustang 5.0 MAF & sensor is also found on:
1995-94 Mustang 3.8L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Crown Victoria 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1995-94 Mustang, Mustang Cobra 5.0L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Town Car 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Grand Marquis 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
Evidently the –A1A, -A2A, AA, etc. on the end of the part number is a minor variant that did not change the operating specs. You should be able to ignore it and have everything work good.

The 95-95 MAF is plug and play: there are no wiring changes, no injector changes, no funny looking little boxes that plug into the computer and no chips to flash or plug in... Plug it in, connect up the air ducts. Disconnect the battery negative cable from the battery, turn the headlights on and wait 5 minutes. Reconnect the battery negative cable and you are done. This resets the computer's internal memory so that it will re-lean the adaptive settings.

You will need a flange to tubing adapter to mate the 4 bolt flange on the MAF to the slip fit rubber tubing. AutoZone may have one, or try Pro-M or Mass Air systems.

*1.) Metal flange adapter Ford MAF Adapters - Air Filters - Kurtz Kustomz Motorsports, Inc. KKM Buy the TR70 for $40. Or spend some time on eBay looking for one that may fit.

*2.) MAF & sensor interchange
The 94-95 Mustang 5.0 MAF & sensor is also found on:
1995-94 Mustang 3.8L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Crown Victoria 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1995-94 Mustang, Mustang Cobra 5.0L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Town Car 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Grand Marquis 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
Evidently the –A1A, -A2A, AA, etc. on the end of the part number is a minor variant that did not change the operating specs. You should be able to ignore it and have everything work good.

My car does not have MAF currently so it needs to be converted. I have the cold air intake and everything to hook that up to the engine. The question is what specifically needs to be done with the part number ECM and MAF that I have to install it in my car?

MASS air conversion instructions from Mustang Mass Air Conversion « FREE
A9L (5 Speed) computer from junkyard $100-$150
A9P (Auto or in a pinch, it will work in a 5 Speed car) computer from junkyard $100-$150
70MM MAF from 94-95 Mustang GT - $40-$70
MASS Air wiring harness kit $30-$85

The whole thing is probably less than $300 using junkyard parts.

A9L computers are 5 speed only
A9P computers are automatic, but will work with a 5 speed.

The conversion harness seems to work well for most folks. It avoids the compatibility problems in using a harness from the junkyard. Simple and cheap, actually less work that swapping the wiring harness.
Conversion Harness kits & parts
Interactive Systems & Technologies Mass Air Home Page
Ford Fuel Injection » EFI Harness Pigtails

If the idea of moving & soldering wires scares you, here's a list of compatible Mass Air wiring harnesses.

Copied from bbunt302
Just for reference, here's a list of all the compatible years:

89 harness should work for 86-89 as long as you're using mass air.
90 harness will only work in a 90. (B/c of air bags and dual dash connectors)
91 through early 92 harnesses should be compatible (single dash connector, fuel pump relay under driver's seat)
Late 92 through 93 harnesses should be compatible (single dash connector, fuel pump relay under the hood)

I can't say 100%, but the part number you posted for the MAF doesn't look right either...
F57E-12B579-DA.

For it to have been from a 94-95 Mustang, it would start with 'F2VF'...
Are there any other numbers on the MAF?

That's true.

I didn't look at the P/N's and just went by the OP's assumption that these were 94-95 parts.

Neither part number looks right. I can't even google the P/N for the MAF. Are you sure those are the right numbers?

Both the MAF and computer might be unusable

Yea from the way its looking I got totally hosed by the guy. Guess im gonna try to sell it off. The cam I bought from him is pitted and not usable so I am out that money. Told me there was nothing wrong with it up front. live and learn I guess.