HELP...am i supposed to have ABS

JLstang351

Founding Member
Jun 26, 2001
atl,ga
Well since ive had the car ive had to lock them up a few times and well all it does is slide! When a deer ran in front of me about a year ago. I locked them up and on top of the damage of the front end, I had two tires w/ flat spots. I just figured i was supposed to :shrug: what should i check for

• Sponsors (?)

I work in the car buisness and the manufacturer makes it very clear to dealership sales people to inform customers that ABS does not help you stop faster. the whole purpose is to allow you to steer while in an emergency stop. Just sounds like a way of avoiding a law suit to me.

If the tires lock up on heavy braking, then you don't have ABS or the ABS is malfunctioning.

And yes, ABS does not necessarily stop you faster, but it prevents the wheels from locking up so you can maintain control in an emergency situation.

2000 was the 1st year of traction control. I also have defeated both my TC & ABS. I also hate the light on my dash. Only the ABS light stays on. Actually I'm so used to it I don't remember what light is always on.

My 96 gt has ABS and my friend's 98 did'ent have ABS. I think in 97 or maybe just 98 ford did'ent offer ABS on the gt ABS only came on the Cobra. I think It was a way to save $$ on the GT's and to keep the price down. And WHY IN THE HELL Would you defeat your ABS ????? do you like to crash ?? I pray you dont drive your car on the street!! :shrug: :notnice:

I remember off-hand when the SN-95's rolled out, that ABS was an option, most cars did come equipped with them though. I don't know if it was still an option in '98. Have him look for the ABS control box, it's usually located near the master cylinder and I think it has 'ABS' stamped on it.

Well i guess mine doesnt have it! I sure wish it did, I hate locking my tires up. Not that I do it often but still! Thanks for all the help. Also i think all 99 gt's,cobras had traction control. First yuear for it!

Ryan L said:
If you can lock up your wheels, then your tires suck.
Have you ben stupid All of your life or what ??? I hope my brakes can lockup no matter what tire's I have on my car. If not there not working as good as they should! Wow this thread has really brought out the dumb ass's out of the wood work! :bang:

Cory351 said:
Have you ben stupid All of your life or what ??? I hope my brakes can lockup no matter what tire's I have on my car. If not there not working as good as they should! Wow this thread has really brought out the dumb ass's out of the wood work! :bang:

I can stop faster and drive around a situation WITHOUT the ABS interference. And I'm a SCCA licensed member. ABS was invented because people were panick stopping and crashing, when they should have just drove around the wreck. ABS helps car dealers and ins companys, but if you really learn how to drive you dont need it.