HELP...am i supposed to have ABS

• Sponsors (?)

My 98 does have ABS. Look behind the front tires in the back near the springs...ABS equipped cars will have two lines, one is the brake line and one is the ABS electrical connection. OR open the hood, look down near the air filter, between the engine and radiator, there'll be a box with brake lines on it, that's the ABS module (pump motor). It will have a recessed area in the center on top of it, with the brake lines coming out of it. If you have all this, check the fuse box in the engine compartment for the ABS fuses, one's a 40 amp fuse labeled ABS1 and the other is labeled ABS 2 and is a 20 amp fuse. There's also one in the passenger compartment fuse box and it's a 10 amp fuse in the #7 position.

david97gt46 said:
I can stop faster and drive around a situation WITHOUT the ABS interference. And I'm a SCCA licensed member. ABS was invented because people were panick stopping and crashing, when they should have just drove around the wreck. ABS helps car dealers and ins companys, but if you really learn how to drive you dont need it.

I'm not licensed SCCA member, but my father was and he has taught me alot about driving, Davod97gt46 is 100% completely accurate, you can avoid accidents much better and stop quicker without abs. Abs was made for the general public cause they smash the brakes, cant steer and hit something. ABS has actually gotten me uncomfortably close to accidents I would have been much further away without. I do not use it but the light is annoying.

Anyone know how to turn ABS Light off with it defeated??

Cory351 said:
Have you ben stupid All of your life or what ??? I hope my brakes can lockup no matter what tire's I have on my car. If not there not working as good as they should! Wow this thread has really brought out the dumb ass's out of the wood work! :bang:

Go check out the Corner Carvers forum before you post.

Your braking system is only as good as your tires. If anyone can lock up their brakes, then you don't need a brake upgrade (13" Cobras for instance), but rather better tires. The only time you should get a big brake upgrade is when you cannot lock them up.

Ruffrider said:
My brakes lock up all the time... would my tires being bald be the problem?

If you had some really sticky tires, then you would probably not be able to lock them up. The only thing between the car and road is your tires, therefore you need good tires to help with braking.

Check out the forums on www.corner-carvers.com

Think about it, the same reason why we lose traction at the drag strip because of bald tires is the same principal why we can't brake as well with bald tires. No traction.

Well I hate when i have to lock them up, then all i see is white smokle coming from the tires! I know that abs doesnt make it stop faster, however it does prevent the tires from locking up causing bald spots....And about the tires, I know i dont have perfect tires I have goodyear eagles. I dont see the point in spending lots of money on front tires, all i really care about is some good stickys for the back :D

PG98GT...Thank you for your help!

340.29m/s said:
ABS has saved me a few times already :p

It got me into a wreck already this winter. In the Ferd Stripper, it kicks the whole system back, and you can only slow down as much as the baldest tire will allow. (the "weakest link" theory)

After I filled out the accident report, I went out & yanked the fuse. It stops soooooooooo much faster now. :D