Help! Cant get fluid back in rear end!?!?

1997 GT with 100k miles. Rear end started howling a little so I bought new rear end lube and popped the cover off the rear end and drained it. Now I don't see how I'm supposed to get the new stuff back in once it is bolted back together. :bang:

Help please. I need my car!

Chet

• Sponsors (?)

On the front side of the differential, there is a fill hole. You may not be able to see it. It's best to use a hand pump to fill it. You can find them at Pep Boys or Autozone. This might help.

There are aftermarket covers with both a fill and drain holes.

130_0301_slip_23_z.jpg

A little more detail: The plug is on the top, driver's side. It uses a 3/8" ratchet (or extension) to unscrew -- it's just the actual square part.

You can also just go right from the bottles as long as you don't mind crushing them in order to get them to fit up there -- it does get a little messy.

Otherwise, if you have access to an air compressor, get an old windshield washer fluid bottle and poke a hole in the top of the handle, and a hole in the top of the cap. Bend some fuel/brake line so it fits in the cap and you can get it to the fill plug. Blow air in the hole in the handle and ti will force the fluid up through the tube. :nice:

ive heard once on TV (some hot rod show) that you can fill a ziplock bag with the right ammount of fluid and then just close it in between the dif and the plate......id think that would cause problems but ya never know, i mean in theory it would work and tear the bag into little insignificant pieces, but i wasnt sure

Wipeout said:
On the front side of the differential, there is a fill hole. You may not be able to see it. It's best to use a hand pump to fill it. You can find them at Pep Boys or Autozone. This might help.

There are aftermarket covers with both a fill and drain holes.

130_0301_slip_23_z.jpg

that guy is NOT holding his mouth right, it's gonna be f'ed up.

Teen'93stang5.0 said:
ive heard once on TV (some hot rod show) that you can fill a ziplock bag with the right ammount of fluid and then just close it in between the dif and the plate......id think that would cause problems but ya never know, i mean in theory it would work and tear the bag into little insignificant pieces, but i wasnt sure

Ive done this before... worked out great..

Teen'93stang5.0 said:

Craziest thing I have read in a while!!! I'm gonna search and see if anyone has done that. I'm not saying it would or wouldn't work ... skrange.

DTNODYA said:
Craziest thing I have read in a while!!! I'm gonna search and see if anyone has done that. I'm not saying it would or wouldn't work ... skrange.
i seen them do it on some show too, but i think it was for a car they only needed for a single race or something like that. i would rather do it right

urban96 said:
i seen them do it on some show too, but i think it was for a car they only needed for a single race or something like that. i would rather do it right

we only did it because we were in the woods mudding and we broke a diff cover so we used the diff cover off of another chevy that we broke earlyer in the week (stick though the radiator) and all we had was a few mixed wrenches and pliars.. worked all the 50 miles home..towing the other truck :nice:

Ricestalker said:
1997 GT with 100k miles. Rear end started howling a little so I bought new rear end lube and popped the cover off the rear end and drained it. Now I don't see how I'm supposed to get the new stuff back in once it is bolted back together. :bang:

Help please. I need my car!

Chet

Here's a "trick" for ya ! Look over to the right of the pumpkin, and you will see a "vent cap" on the axle tube.. Grab a 15mm open end and unscrew it. Get a "marine gear transfer pump" from Wally mart, screw it into the gear lube bottles and pump away ! You are welcome !:nice:

Don't forget your friction modifier - you can buy this at any Ford dealer for about $10. You'll need to add one bottle to the diff, otherwise your limited slip rear end may not work correctly. BTW, this stuff smells really good . . .