help!! car just shuts off

89llx

5 Year Member
Aug 31, 2009
I have a bone stock 95 gt and you can be driving down the road and the motor might just shut off, dump the clutch with it rolling and start up,, also you might go to start it and might not fire right up ,, things i have tried are fuel pump, and the constant controll moduel by the radiator, cleaned the mass air, cleaned the throttle body and cleaned the pic up coil in side the dizzy

Also the car runs good!!! NO engine miss or nothing, and most of the time fires right up!!!

• Sponsors (?)

What did you do to clean the PIP in the distributor? My guess is that PIP (Hall Effect Sensor) is going south. Very common and more so as the cars age. The symptoms as described are typical for the PIP as it dies.

What did you do to clean the PIP in the distributor? My guess is that PIP (Hall Effect Sensor) is going south. Very common and more so as the cars age. The symptoms as described are typical for the PIP as it dies.

That is what im thinking to, maybe you can only clean it so many times,, the dizzy is coming out this morning

either that or the Ignition Control Module that's on the pass side fender under the air filter... mine stalled on me last week a couple times... been running kinda crappy lately & been hard starting when hot & only stalls out when it's hot. I pulled the control module yesterday to go buy another one and found that the two screws that hold it to the heat dispersing mount were loose which means it wasn't grounded good. I live on a dirt road so the screws must have just vibrated loose. I'm hoping that tightening it back down fixes it but I won't know until mon or tues. but that Ignition Control Module would be my guess, along with the already mentioned P.I.P. both are known to go bad & randomly cause problems only after the car is warmed up & the parts heat up.

I replaced the control moduel that autozone said was bad and i still have the problem,, so i drove the shaft out of the dizzy and replaced the pip,,,, time will tell

I found out last night that my problem is my Tweecer tuner...... The car would fire but that's it, it wouldn't run at all & for w/e reason, I turned the nob on the Tweecer back to the stock computer setting which bypasses the tunes... Started it & it ran....switch it back to the tuner & it ran for a few sec then cut out... Weird but at least I know whats wrong.
Hope that pip fixes it for you, that's the most logical guess now that u know ur module was fine >.< When mine died on the road, it sure seemed like everything I've read about ignition module or pip failure...