HELP: car sputters and runs rough

fst100

Sep 1, 2006
ok I have a friend who has a 95 V6 stang. Has a bit over 100K miles and is all stock down to the paper filter and is a 5-speed trans. He’s currently having issues on his car that he cant seem to diagnose. Heres what he sent me over gmail chat:

“cold start is bad. Ill start it and my rpm will drop below 450 then shoot past 1500 for about 2 minutes. Cant bring RPMS past 3500-3800 most of the time. Engine sputters and vibrates whenever i stop at a light. when i press the gas the rpms drop then go up.

put it this way 1st gear can rev up to about 4000 i shift usually around 3000. 2nd gear i can get it up to about the same but it struggles. 3rd gear goes a little higher if im pushing the car hard. 4rth goes to 4500 on the highway when im pushing and fifth i havent gotten that high cuz i dont wanna get pulled over . but i cant get any of them to tach out.”

he replaced his plugs and spark plugs as well as lower mileage EGR since he believed was causing his start-up in the morning as well as idle. I also pointed out that the car’s peak HP is at 4000RPMs, but he told me its around 5500-6000RPMs and he returned this comment:

“the point is that it use to go to 5500 and it doesnt anymore. something isnt right with it and im sure its the timing chain
i know shifting that high is pointless
but my engine is not performing the way it use to trust me i been driving this thing since 04”

now he says also that the car’s making a tingling sound when hes driving around and believe’s his timing chain’s stretched causing the car to sputter and not go past 3500-3800RPMs in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, but he can shift at 4000 in 4th gear fine and he rarely shifts anywhere near 4000 in 5th gear. So that’s whats going on in a nut shell, any advice and ideas on whats going on is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and I’ll let him know what u guys think!

• Sponsors (?)

First some info has he checked anything out? I would check the TPS see if it is in range. If he thinks the timing chain is strecthed then check it and find out. It is simple to check, use a timing light and see if there is any variation in the timing more then 5 degrees then change it. I would also check the cats if they are pluged then no power and the tinging sound could the engine or exhaust getting to hot. So have him check some things and go from there.