Blaine Polhamus

Sep 7, 2015
I just swapped my upper and lower intake with a 94-95 cobra U & L. After I got everything put together and started it up it made this extremely loud whining noise. It's hard to pinpoint the noise because of the loudness but I suspect the distributor perhaps.
Symptoms: idles around 3k until it sputters and dies, with some work I can get it to idle around 800 but tends to just shut off or idle it's way back up to 2-3k, idle sounds rough, super high pitched whine. It doesn't have issues with starting though.
Sorry for the long post but I wanted to share as much as I could. Please help!

• Sponsors (?)

A whistle at idle reminds me of the noise that many aftermarket throttle bodies make. Did you get one in the swap? Is the IAC gasket causing a whistle turbulence?

A whistle at idle reminds me of the noise that many aftermarket throttle bodies make. Did you get one in the swap? Is the IAC gasket causing a whistle turbulence?
Yeah I swapped in a 70mm BBK but that was a month before the intake swap, I know what TB whistle you're talking about. But this sounds like an electrical whine. I think I might've put the distributor in wrong.

A Deafening whine and it is not throttle body? Hmmm. Is your Ex still in the trunk?

If you want to find it fast, you need a stethoscope, a very long screwdriver or even a small hose to start listening to things. I did not see if you pinned down a location. But if it is from the back, and you already let her out, it could be the fuel pump and just a coincidence. If it is from up front, look for the cat while using your stethoscope probe from HFT.