Do you think I can do it?

• Total voters
How hard is it to drop a new long block 4.6l into a 2001 Mustang GT. I have some nasty bottom end rod knocks and just would rather put a new engine in myself. I know I'll need to get an engine cherry picker, and probably some new tools but I have a lot of tools available to me.

My question is, is it that hard to drop a new engine into these 99-04 Mustangs? I have never done an engine pull or swap. I know my way around the car quite well though since I have been working on it for months now. To add, I am also 20 years old and would be doing this mainly by myself(I can get a friend or two to help if I need, but they have no idea about anything car related)

In your opinions, do you think this would be something I would be capable of doing? Thanks ahead for the help!

• Sponsors (?)

Do you have a place to do the swap, as in a place the car can sit for several days disabled?
If yes,then absolutely, watch some YouTube videos- find a good service manual, and take your time and plenty of pics. Label wires and hoses and stock up on some Pb blaster and oil dry- You’ll do just fine :nice:

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have a place to do the swap, as in a place the car can sit for several days disabled?
If yes,then absolutely, watch some YouTube videos- find a good service manual, and take your time and plenty of pics. Label wires and hoses and stock up on some Pb blaster and oil dry- You’ll do just fine :nice:
Yes I do, I have a garage that should just barely be big enough to do the swap. I have the haynes manual already and I am extremely OCD about everything so I always label my wires and vac hoses, etc haha. Thank you for the reply, it makes me feel a lot more confident in doing this! The 2v 4.6l engines don't seem too complicated :) Can you recommend any other good service manuals if you happen to know any?

You can do it...check your garage to ensure enough vertical clearance exists to clear the cherry picker (at the top) with enough lift to clear the engine over the radiator support (at the bottom...or remove the radiator support).

Keep track of all your bolts...label wires and hoses.

You can do it...check your garage to ensure enough vertical clearance exists to clear the cherry picker (at the top) with enough lift to clear the engine over the radiator support (at the bottom...or remove the radiator support).

Keep track of all your bolts...label wires and hoses.
Awesome, thank you for the input and I will for sure check that out before I start.