Help, getting followers BACK in!

JadeFalcon

Founding Member
Mar 28, 2002
Arlington, TX
I read through all the threads, I'm replacing the lfiters because of a ticking, however I cant get the damn followers back on the head in the right place. TAking them out was easy, but I cant figure out how to get them back in.

My current tactic is turning the cam lobe up on each follower, then I put the follower on the lifter side, and then pry the spring down and slide it on? Is that the easiest way? I've been messing around for about 30 minutes with it and cant get one on.. grr.

• Sponsors (?)

bad news, I did it, got it all back together... and it still taps! wtf could it be? IT's a new shortblock 20k on the ticker, everything in the valvetrain seemed tight as hell, the cam looked fine, I have fantastic oil pressure...

however it does not seem to miss anymore at idle like it did before, it has more power down low, but it still taps man, damn its annoying. Could this be injectors? I've fixed damn near everything else. I am runnign a motorsport cam in it, I hope that isnt a valve hitting?? but I brought #1 to TDC and spun the cam and didnt get any interference... I'm totally pegged out on this car.

Bad wrist pins or rod bearings? How many miles on the motor?

start it and using a long screwdrover press the handle to your ear and the other end to the block and head and try to see where the sound is loudest.

And dont get your hair or vital parts caught in the belts.

All the HLA's are new. So, maybe one of them is getting starved for oil pressure, possibly a blockage? I had the head hot tanked and cleaned a few months ago. The motor has 20,000 miles on it. It is definately top end noise. What oil do you guys run?

I run Mobil full synthetic...

I've honestly never seen a 2.3 that didn't tick. I think it's a combo of the injectors and the cam being on top of the motor (rather than in the middle like a v8). This lets more of the cam noise out.

Stinger