HELP!!! Got codes, now what???

shhak

Dec 4, 2006
Ok, today I was out just cruising around in my 03 cobra when I happened upon a CBR954. Just for laughs (knowing he was going to run off and leave me) we raced from about 15mph. Just going to do the usual 2nd to 3rd half block run. Well, I was in 2nd gear at about 3500 RPM and I laid into it. Pulled good to about 4500 RPM, but wasn't pulling like usual. The tires weren't spinning, so I thought something was up. Anyway, at about 4500, the car started spitting and sputtering and the bike was gone. I immediately let out and cruised back toward home. Just to check it out, I left a stop light and hit 2nd gear and pushed on it again. Same thing, only this time the Service Engine Soon light came on.

I went home and plugged in my X-Cal2 and pulled the codes.
Found 2 codes.
First one...P0190 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Malfunction

Second one...P0234 Engine Overboost Condition

What do they mean, and how do I fix it? :shrug:

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Did you "bang" the car off the rev limiter lately??? The FRPS (Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor) is that little black plastic square box on the front drivers side of the blower mounted to the end of the fuel rail. See picture below...

FRPS.JPG

This is a high failure item on the 03/04 Cobra's. It fails when there is a spike in fuel pressure like when the car hits the rev limiter, but can fail in other circumstances too. They cost around $40-$50 from the Ford dealer. Now the important thing you need to do first is pull the vacuum line off of the bottom of it and see if you smell fuel. Many times when these blow the inner diaphragm ruptures and it allows raw gas to back wash through the vacuum line into the engine crankcase. Gas in your oil is a BAD THING and if that has happened you need to drain and fill your engine oil & filter ASAP. Pull the dip stick and smell it, does it smell like gas?

U.M.

P.S. DON'T DRIVE IT IF THERE IS GAS IN THE OIL AND YOU HAVE REPLACED THE FRPS IF THAT TRULY IS THE PROBLEM!

Attachments

• FRPS.JPG
    FRPS.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 2,507
Well Uncle Meat, I just ran out to the garage and checked the FRPS and when I removed the vacuum line off the bottom of it, I don't immediately smell gas. But when I put my nose right to it, you do smell a little gas smell. Pulled the dipstick and it has a slight gas smell to it as well. Neither of the two items smell really strongly, but both do have a slight gas smell.

Is there a way to test the FRPS or do you just chance it and go buy one? What would you do?

Also, just wanted to take a moment to thank you for all your help. Every question I've had thus far with my cobra, you've given me advise. And as of right now, it's all be very good and educated advise. Just want you to know that I do appreciate it. Thanks again and keep it coming.

It's a relatively cheap part so go ahead and replace it and do an oil & filter change. You might even want to buy two and keep one in the glove box. May guys with modified 03/04's do! Like I said this is a high failure item and depending on the severity of the diaphragm rupture within the FRPS it can actually cause your car to not run at all.

Once you've changed out the FRPS and drained/re-filled the oil don't forget to reset those codes.

U.M.