help help ticking :( got valve covers off but

50_Dave

Nov 1, 2003
Im not sure what i should be looking for.

Last night when i started the car up, i heard an imidiate ticking from the driver side valve cover. I got onto it, going wot, and i had a HUGE loss of power compared to what i normally have. The ticking is similar to the sound of an exhaust leak, only MUCH louder; however, the sound itself is not as continuous as an exhaust leak, but still a constant loud ticking.

My friend thinks its a pushrod or a rocker arm. I took the valve cover off, and the rocker arms all seem about the same, not much lash, all on their fairly tight. Do you think i should check the pushrods next? I am not sure if there is a torque specification to putting the rocker arms back on.

Next step is to do a compression check unforunetly. If that comes up bad, going for the 331.

• Sponsors (?)

yeah...tighten up your rocker arms. that could happen. when i cracked and bent my valve, there was a bad ticking and major loss of power. but i had a dead cylinder because of it but yours could be stuck only a tiny bit open or something

HazMat404 said:
yeah...tighten up your rocker arms. that could happen. when i cracked and bent my valve, there was a bad ticking and major loss of power. but i had a dead cylinder because of it but yours could be stuck only a tiny bit open or something
that sounds like a good idea.

Would only take another 5 minutes to pop the other valve cover off.

I just recently did a H/C swap on my car and I had a ticking coming from my passenger side VC and when I took it off, 2 of my rockers were hitting the inside of my VC. We just took it off and ground it down and no more ticking.