Help identifying Engine and picking cam

Trboh22

Aug 19, 2002
Well I went and picked up my new hooptie finally. It was cheap enough I didn't really care that it did not have an H.O. motor in it. I think it's from a crown vic, but I'm not sure and I would hate to find out it's out of a truck lol. Anyways on the valve cover there is a sticker with 1K336AA +1 on it...not sure if that helps. The previous owner is looking into what it came out of as well. It runs great to 4000 RPM, but then falls flat on its face. I'd like to grab a new cam, and I have some ported E7's laying around already. Pry leave the stock intake manifold for a couple months yet. Looking to see if a TFS 1 cam would work in this motor, or if I hsould buy a stock H.O. cam...

View attachment 249165
View attachment 249166

• Sponsors (?)

**bump** anyone have any ideas? Been searching for an answer, but everything I see doesn't answer what the difference between an H.O. and a Non H.O. and what I would need to do to make it "compareble"

Simplest way I can think of to see if it is HO or not is check the firing order. Simply trace the plug from the cap to the spark plug and see what order it goes in. Start at 1 and go CCW.

HO firing order: 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8
non HO: 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

Looks like it is speed density in which case you may have a harder time finding a friendly cam. I wouldnt touch the cam until you upgrade the intake and ESPECIALLY the heads.

If I were you I'd be pissed if its a non-HO, idk why someone would go through all that and not put a HO in it if they are so cheap.

Simplest way I can think of to see if it is HO or not is check the firing order. Simply trace the plug from the cap to the spark plug and see what order it goes in. Start at 1 and go CCW.

HO firing order: 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8
non HO: 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

Looks like it is speed density in which case you may have a harder time finding a friendly cam. I wouldnt touch the cam until you upgrade the intake and ESPECIALLY the heads.

If I were you I'd be pissed if its a non-HO, idk why someone would go through all that and not put a HO in it if they are so cheap.

My understanding is that it was just laying around, I'm going off the intake manifold. Will check firing order in the a.m.

Woot!! It appears I'm worrying for nothing. I have the 19lb injectors (a sign of the h.o.), and when I pulled the plate off the intake manifold it has H.O. Stamped on it....and just to be sure the Compute is the the EEC IV from the h.o.

Speed densit is my only prob now, but megasquirt will take care of that issue.