HELP. Is there a "regulator" of some sort on our heater hose?

• Sponsors (?)

Nothing on the heating system at all. Its an open system, and the overpressure protection is the radiator cap, which should relieve pressure at no more than 16psi depending on what cap you have. Regardless, it's a much lower pressure than the heater hoses can handle, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Kurt

I've seen this topic come up quite a few times in the years I've been
hanging around on these Stang sites :D

From what I've seen, some have the flow regulator and some don't :shrug:

You can make one out of a small freeze plug or what ever
you can find at your local hardware store ;)

I once made one from a threaded knock out from an electrical box I had
laying around in a junk pile. Just drilled a hole in it and used a hose clamp
to keep it in place :shrug:

Grady

I once made one from a threaded knock out from an electrical box I had
laying around in a junk pile. Just drilled a hole in it and used a hose clamp
to keep it in place :shrug:

Grady

I took a piece of brass pipe plug and drilled a hole in it. Then stuffed it down the heater hose between the heater rail and the water pump. Total cost $0. Great minds think alike.

Kurt

So our cars are supposed to have a regulator? what happens if you don't have one?

My Ford service CD makes no reference to a heater core regulator. I'm wondering why one wants to restrict the water flow through the heater core. Is it being done with the expectation that more water will flow through the rad? The pressure will be whatever the engine cooling system is up to the radiator cap relief pressure which should be 16 psi.

My Ford service CD makes no reference to a heater core regulator. I'm wondering why one wants to restrict the water flow through the heater core. Is it being done with the expectation that more water will flow through the rad? The pressure will be whatever the engine cooling system is up to the radiator cap relief pressure which should be 16 psi.

Slowing the water down before the core allows longer saturation time once it enters. Better interior heat, better heat dissipation and less pressure on the core itself.

So our cars are supposed to have a regulator? what happens if you don't have one?

No, it's not suposed to have one. But like all modified engines, sometimes you have to change things. Water that goes through the heater core doesn't go to the radiator afterwards, it just goes back to the water pump. So, by restricting the water to the heater core, you get more water to the radiator, and better engine cooling.

Kurt

No, it's not suposed to have one. But like all modified engines, sometimes you have to change things. Water that goes through the heater core doesn't go to the radiator afterwards, it just goes back to the water pump. So, by restricting the water to the heater core, you get more water to the radiator, and better engine cooling.

Kurt

First, thanks for the quick answer Kurt, and the explanations guys.:nice: Adam was a HUGE help. He traveled to my house from NJ and with his knowledge we pulled the dash and got the whole car back together and putting out heat in record time.:nice::nice:

Now, he and I cannot see paying $150 for a core when they sell for $50 commonly.:shrug: SO, the reason we were asking initially:

#1 if the car had a regulator stock (my stock setup is long gone) and
#2 If less pressure would extend the life of the NON-oem core as a little.. insurance.
#3 :scratch: Wouldn't a "plug" in the flow lessen the circulation in the motor and make for LESS cooling?

Got the answer for #1 but 2 and 3 I am still a little curious on..

If your heater core has never been replaced then it will sooner but hopefully later. So this topic is important to all of us I guess. Does anyone have a pic or link to the device they are speaking of to lessen the pressure? I am not sure I am even going to do it, but curious..

79-04 Mustang Heater Core Flow Restrictor by Ford at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

At that price i might just pick it up for piece of mind... for some odd reason like i said, i think my car has one... but im not 100% sure untill i can take a look at my hoses... i just remember there being some sort of black clamps in the middle of the hose.

Thanks for the kind works too by the way. Sorry i bled on your dog, still feel bad about that i think i dripped when i steped over the gate.

The focus is not about pressure :nono:

It is about slowing down or reducing the flow of coolant through the hc :)

Grady

Because no matter what pressure should be the same in an open system. but a smaller diameter hose would slow the flow and rate of change in pressure.

"The new Motorcraft hoses come with a coolant flow restrictor installed to reduce the chances of the new heater core blowing out the same way. If you choose to go on with your existing hoses and they don't have the Flow Restrictor we also have those available seperately."

3402051181_f2a9d5d052.jpg

The restrictor does NOT affect pressure in a closed system. The pressure in the core and before the restrictor are always the same in a closed system. (Open systems are another matter) As I and others have said the restrictor only reduces water flow to the heater core, ie. the water will flow in the direction of least resistance. That is why the hose to the rad has a much larger cross section than a heater hose. BTW the test pressure for detecting leaks in the core is 30 psi.

#3 :scratch: Wouldn't a "plug" in the flow lessen the circulation in the motor and make for LESS cooling?

Got the answer for #1 but 2 and 3 I am still a little curious on..

If your heater core has never been replaced then it will sooner but hopefully later. So this topic is important to all of us I guess. Does anyone have a pic or link to the device they are speaking of to lessen the pressure? I am not sure I am even going to do it, but curious..

How many ways can the coolant get to the motor from the water pump? Slowing down the heater core path gives more fluid to the other paths that enter the motor.

Hehe, NP Adam. I was not worried about you bleeding, I just wanted to make sure the dog wasn't lol. Well, I didn't mean it the way that sounded either. :) So this is all good info. Let me get this right..we have a closed system on 94/95 and thus do not need to be concerned about pressure?