Help!! Kenne Bell Installed Tuning Problems

Bigt3604

Dec 1, 2014
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and need some help with my recent kenne bell install. I have a 99 saleen #102 and just finished my 2.1 9lb inter cooled install. I did the install myself and everything went very smooth and it was a clean install. I have a sct x4 and purchased a email tune from Don lasota. The startup tune was excellent, it started right up with no check engine lights or codes. While working on the tune when we got to loaded revs the car will buck when any type of load is put on the car. Now don is telling me my maf counts are erratic and cannot complete the tune until it's fixed. Can anybody help or have an idea why my car won't drive? Any reason why the maf counts are erratic? I can send a datalog, I have no idea what the counts are supposed to be or what the datalog graph should look like. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Bucking under load sounds like a fuel pressure problem to me. What are you doing for fuel? A BAP on the OE pump? Are you certain it is wired correctly? Is it set to run all the time or are you using a Hobbs switch to trigger it? If the Hobbs, where are you getting the pressure signal from?

Yes I'm using the BAP on the stock fuel pump. I believe it's wired correctly and wired to run all the time, no Hobbs switch. I datalog fuel pressure and it looks good. I was thinking fuel pressure and maybe something with the sensor on the fuel rail but datalogs looked good. Any reason why my MAF signal is so "noisy"? Is it normal on supercharged cars to have a noisy maf signal?

image.jpg

Ok so I did some research and it seems a noisy maf sensor count is common in supercharged vehicles although that doesn't mean a noisy maf signal is good, it's just common. But it has nothing to do with my bucking problem. I ending up downloading my original tune I had that Dan Carlson made for me before I had the supercharger and the car runs excellent...absolutely no drivability issues, no bucking at all! So it was the email Tune that was causing my issue. Now I need to get a new tune made for the supercharger but at least I can drive the car to Dan so he can tune it. Not sure if email tunes are the best way to go.

Yes I'm using the BAP on the stock fuel pump. I believe it's wired correctly and wired to run all the time
^^^How could this not be the problem????^^^

If the fuel pump is wired to "run all the time", then how is it possible for the PCM to modulate fuel pressure in response to demand? What is the fuel pressure doing? Is the fuel pressure sensor intake vacuum reference line connected and leak free?

^^^How could this not be the problem????^^^

If the fuel pump is wired to "run all the time", then how is it possible for the PCM to modulate fuel pressure in response to demand? What is the fuel pressure doing? Is the fuel pressure sensor intake vacuum reference line connected and leak free?

The fuel pump is not wired to run all the time the BAP is wired to be on all the time and it's wired in pre FPDM so the the cars computer has complete control over it. The fuel pressure should be about 40 psi plus the boost being run and my fuel pressure is about spot on at 50psi..40+10lbs boost. Of course it fluctuates but as it should be. The fuel pressure rail sensor FPRS and vacuum is hooked up yes leak free. With the email tune the car bucked terribly, with my old tune car runs fine. I'm pretty sure now the problem was the tune and not something mechanical. Anyone have any opinions on this?

Well Don from Lasota racing has been really helping with trying to help me fix this problem. He is one of the most knowledgable and respected tuners in the country and I have to thank him for his thoughts and advice. Once I find out what is causing the noisy signal (possible the aftermarket KB CAI) I will post it up so if anyone else has this problem it might help them out.

Fixed the issue and I couldn't have did it without Don Lasota from Lasota Racing. He is one of the best tuners and was able to help be pin point my problem from hundreds of miles away in ohio! Turns out the cold air kit from kenne bell just like most aftermarket kits have too many bends and the slinky tube creates so much turbulence in the intake tube just before the maf sensor. Put in a JLT ram air intake with a honeycomb straightener (Don told me about these) and perfect maf signal! Get your email tunes from Lasota racing, one of the best.

Fixed the issue and I couldn't have did it without Don Lasota from Lasota Racing. He is one of the best tuners and was able to help be pin point my problem from hundreds of miles away in ohio! Turns out the cold air kit from kenne bell just like most aftermarket kits have too many bends and the slinky tube creates so much turbulence in the intake tube just before the maf sensor. Put in a JLT ram air intake with a honeycomb straightener (Don told me about these) and perfect maf signal! Get your email tunes from Lasota racing, one of the best.