Help me build 347 !!!!!!!

Slow5.0

Feb 13, 2003
Portland, OR
Here is a deal , finally i decide to do 347 stroker (i was tired playin with 302 :nonono:)

I will be using my stock block which have 115K miles (which is still in good condition , its never overheated ,compression is good and cilynder walls are good too , no cracks or anything)

I gonna use my TFS TW heads which have TFS Track Head upgrade kit and AFM B-31 cam (whch is blower cam 8-15psi)
I have APR bolts that i installed 2 years ago when i did H/C swap so i gonna use them too

Headers are gonna be same for now MAC 1 5/8 LTs

Intake will be same to TFS Track Heat and BBK 75mm TB

I wanna see around 500 HP/TQ max on this motor with power adder (blower or turbo)

So what parts i gonna need to get this 347 build done
Car will be driven like now around 5k miles a year ,so i don't wanna build something that will overheat in traffic
Then again i don't wanna spend a lot $$$ on stroker kit because i gonna use stock block (everyone knows stock block are good to 500-550HP with good tune)

Here i a list of mods i have right now and i will be using those parts on this 347

MODIFICATION:

Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads
B-31 AFM custom cam
1.6 RR SVO
TFS Track Heat polished/ported
TwEECer RT
PLX-M300 Wideband
Mac 1 5/8 Long Tube Headers
Mac O/R H-Pipe
Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust System
Tremec TKO500 tranny
PRO-5.0 w/ Bullitt knob
Pro Motion "kustom" clutch kit
FRP Driveshaft
FRP 3.73s gears
MSD 6A Ignition
MSD Blaster TFI Coil
BBK U/D Pulleys
Fluidyne 2 row radiator
160* Thermostat

So what parts and what brand i need (like whatoil pump ,should i go with electric waterpump or replace with stock replacement .........)

Thank you

• Sponsors (?)

Are you building yourself? Or having a builder do it?

Best thing you can do for yourself is find a well known Ford engine builder with a good reputation, and give him this list and listen to all his suggestions. Everybody on the internet is going to have a different opinion, and most aren't necessarily right.

My bottom end is a Scat cast crank, eagle H beam rods, Ross Forged pistons in a 68 302 block. Those are all good parts, but you can also buy cheaper parts that are going to be good too. If you can pick up a 68-72 302 block, they'll hold up a little nicer than a later model block will, especially if you'll be boosting it.

FWIW- I would get a better block for a stroker...just how I feel...much less a stroker you plan on adding a power adder too.

It can be done with a stock block...just my opinion/.02.

might want to go alittle bigger on the inj. like a 30 or 36.

that is an exciting project! you can put 375+ to the wheels n/a pretty easily with a 347 and well-matched heads and cam. but why stop there? i'm going to a 408 that i'm expecting will put down 450 to the wheels, like low-5.0

for a n/a 347 though, you probably don't need much. 30# or 36# injectors, a custom cam better suited for your setup, a melling pump with a standard flow would be fine, unless you go to a 7 qt pan, in which case you might want to go to a high volume pump.

when you strap a blower on, you'll need more like 42#ers

but talk to your engine builder, he should have thoughts about your questions too

IF you are in deed planning on boost (first post says charger or turbo). I would get a 7qt pan and high volume pump to support the charger or turbo (unless you go with a internal lube charger). Like blackvert posted I wouldnt go high volume with a std pan, you will be glad you got the 7qt.

diablostang said:
Are you building yourself? Or having a builder do it?

Sorry my bad , i forget i gonna have local machine shop do machining work and they will put long block together

blksn955.o said:
might want to go alittle bigger on the inj. like a 30 or 36.

I made mistake when i write that , actualy i copy that from mymods page so i forget to delete those

ernan, if you want to put down 500 hp/tq to the wheels, you'll have to be making more like 590 at the flywheel.

i doubt a stock 302 block will be able to take that for very long.

seems to me you'll either need an 302 aftermarket block for your 347, or an older (pre-1975 351w) block. the 351 blocks are much stronger than the 302 blocks, and the pre-1975 ones are the best of those (stock 351 blocks that is)

BlackVert said:
those would be for a flat tappet cam/lifters. to use a roller cam with them you'd have to get them modified

*edited/added* i don't know much about their strength compared to a late model 302 block

How hard is to modified that 68-72 302 block and how safe is it

i don't know much about the older 302 blocks, since i have been focusing much more on 351 non-roller blocks. it's hard to find a 351 roller block, and they are not as strong as the pre-5 ones anyway.

$200 seems to be a typical price to convert a 351 block to roller. i'd guess it would be similar for a 302?

are the older 302 blocks that much stronger than the late model ones that it would be worth the extra money to convert it to a roller block?

:shrug:

From what I have found out the Ford Sportsman block (not the Dart) is a re-make of the old castings...and Ford just dropped the hp limit on those due to failures. I want to say its margnl. over the stock 302, better but not like 600rwhp safe better.

From what I've seen, the older 302 blocks are stronger than the current 5.0 blocks.

They are not all that much stronger.

I would not wanna give up the roller cam technology.

I've seen on Hardcore you can have issues with using roller lifters in the older blocks. IIRC, it was all about the lifter bores being too short and things could be not quite right at high rpm.

For a street motor, I got no prob with the oem 5.0 block being used for a 347.

Forced induction is another matter.

Ernan, Why not just bolt on a blower/turbo to what you got now and have a little fun for a while :shrug:

Grady

final5-0 said:
I would not wanna give up the roller cam technology.

I've seen on Hardcore you can have issues with using roller lifters in the older blocks. IIRC, it was all about the lifter bores being too short and things could be not quite right at high rpm.

For a street motor, I got no prob with the oem 5.0 block being used for a 347.

Forced induction is another matter.

Ernan, Why not just bolt on a blower/turbo to what you got now and have a little fun for a while :shrug:

Grady

See i had problems with lifters on stock roller 302 ,but i will not go with older one andhave even more problems

Why not bolt power adder on 302 now , because bottom end have 115k miles and need rebuild , oil pan gasket is bad , its not dripping but its shot, it needs rebuild

Slow5.0 said:
Why not bolt power adder on 302 now , because bottom end have 115k miles and need rebuild , oil pan gasket is bad , its not dripping but its shot, it needs rebuild

I understand my friend :)

Boost will most likely take what life is left away a bit quicker.

Good Luck with all your new combo plans :nice:

Grady