Help Me Build A 400-425hp(flywheel)351

6mmDasher

Jul 9, 2017
I just bought a 91 coupe that doesn't have a motor. I also just bought a 351 outta a 96 Bronco. I'm trying to build a nice little cruiser with decent power. My plans were to have my buddy bore it out .030 just to clean up the cylinders. Thinking of buying Trick Flow upper and lower intake. Some 42lb injectors. Probably some AFR 185 or comparable heads. A stage 2 trick flow cam or comparable. Cold air intake with 80mm mass air 75mm throttle body. Some 1 3/4 long tubes. Possibly Bama tunes?? Thinking of making it around 10-1 compression. Not interested in stroking the motor right now as I want to buy a decent set of wheels. Will this get me close to my 425hp goal. What else do I need to add to my list. This is gonna be a year or so project as I have kids and a wife. So I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row and start buying parts. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Oh the car has a T. rex fuel pump and 3.73 gears it's also has a new clutch.

• Sponsors (?)

Agreed ^

I think with the parts you listed (depending on which TF intake), you can pretty easily hit your goal. I ran Bama tunes in my '11 GT, hence why I agreed with the above comment. While nothing bad came of it, the car was night and day different with a Jon Lund mail order tune. Same price, much better performance with Lund.

You definitely don't need to spend any money on the bottom end. A 351 will meet your needs in displacement. Zero deck the block for the bump in compression. To get in the extra power, look at Trick Flow 11R heads, and a Holley Systemax 2 intake. Go to a bigger cam too. You will be over the 425 mark, but it will cost about the same. You will most likely spend more time tuning than assembling, but it will be worth it. Any engine in the power range you are looking for is going to require some tuning.

Kurt

Reactions: 2 users
Great advice above.

You should be able to hit that mark. I would use at least a 190+cc head. Afr or tfs both have what you need. Just remember you are using 50+ more cubic inches so size everything bigger than the typical 302 parts and you will have plenty of airflow to reach your goal.

When it comes to the cam choice you will need to go larger. A "big" cam in a 302 will seem small in a 351. So buy accordingly, if it were me I would have a cam ground after gathering all my other parts. A custom cam doesn't cost much more than a decent ots cam, worth the money imo. A well designed cam is like a good tune, it will pull all the parts together.

Reactions: 2 users
Custom cams aren't that expensive anymore. But more over, it depends on what you want to get out of it. Most off the shelf cams are designed to maximize power. But say you're the kind of guy who doesn't like to sit in a car that rattles back and forth with a rough idle, and you are willing to sacrifice some power to get a more factory style idle, you can get a custom cam with more lobe separation and less duration to smooth it out.

Kurt

Sell one of the kids, go for the youngest, 6 to 10 year olds are hit and miss, over ten and the value goes straight in the toilet, the wife will cost money to get rid of, cheaper to keeper, besides who's gonna make the samiches?
Do that and you could have a turbo budget, jack stands included.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, all that information out there, I'll never have to look in the book again, besides, I don't usually understand most of what I read. The samiches is the most important thing here so wife has to stay (only if she still does all the important things) wash your clothes, picks up the tools, cleans the oil spots, etc. Kids all should go unless they like working on cars. If they just like computers, they gotta go, all ages...
I have a Fox, is a 1989 Saleen conv. I never drive it, so it's gotta go also, so anyone out there want a 89 Saleen with 12,950 orig. miles, is #0085, never even been polished, is completely like when it was delivered to Oakdale Ca. with 4 mi. on odometer. I have every orig paper, w/sticker, shipp. paper, etc. Interior and top still near as delivered, A Saleen with 5 speed isn't a good kind of car for a 81 year old man. I also have 14 other mustangs, all early, 64 to 70 and two are 78's, one is King Cobra with 5,426 orig. miles, all must now go. Keep up the good work guys, I love to hear all the suggestions, etc.

Attachments

• kingcobra.JPG
    kingcobra.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 100
  • saleen3.JPG
    saleen3.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 112
I bought in to the long rod 351 thing. So I have acquired all the parts to build one. Supposedly higher compression ratio on regular unleaded and smooth idle with good power. If it's a bunch of malarky I am gonna find out. The plan is efi with a speed density roller cam. If I ever get it done I will surely report my findings. There is a bit of machine work necessary. I should mention that displacement remains the same. This is for the daddywagon which will be a 100% street car.
full.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I bought in to the long rod 351 thing. So I have acquired all the parts to build one. Supposedly higher compression ratio on regular unleaded and smooth idle with good power. If it's a bunch of malarky I am gonna find out. The plan is efi with a speed density roller cam. If I ever get it done I will surely report my findings. There is a bit of machine work necessary. I should mention that displacement remains the same. This is for the daddywagon which will be a 100% street car.
full.jpg
Hey, is a very nice wagon, I used to drive Ford wagons when the kids were little, wish I still had some of them, last one was a Country Squire, 1977, bought it new and still have the 460 engine sitting in a storage shed. Also have the 9" rear under my radical modified 67 fastback.It had 4 whl. disc, two tanks and every other option, was built as a Ford reps car.

Attachments

• DSCN1798.JPG
    DSCN1798.JPG
    428.8 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCN1800.JPG
    DSCN1800.JPG
    614.3 KB · Views: 118
Hey, is a very nice wagon, I used to drive Ford wagons when the kids were little, wish I still had some of them, last one was a Country Squire, 1977, bought it new and still have the 460 engine sitting in a storage shed. Also have the 9" rear under my radical modified 67 fastback.It had 4 whl. disc, two tanks and every other option, was built as a Ford reps car.
Wow! My dad had a 1977 country squire! It was green with a green interior and his teenaged son (that would be me), ruined it. It had the 400m in it if I remember correctly. If I ever find one and I have the money I will buy it.

Last edited: