Help me build my 5.0

4eyegt

Sep 25, 2009
Yuma, Az
I have an 86 GT 5.0. My car has the following so far: new clutch kit, clutch cable, 3.73 with trac-lok, Hurst short throw, Mac shorty headers, off road H-pipe, 2.5" H-pipe back with flowmaster mufflers and twin electric fans.

My donor is an 88 LX 5.0 so it should have the E7's correct? Would it be worth having these rebuilt with full machine work and oversized valves or just save up for better heads?

I might build a stroker out of the donor 5.0. Not sure yet. So I'm only looking for bolt on idea's for now. I may go giggle gas but that would be a few months away.

I have a budget of $200-300 per paycheck or $600-800 per month. So what should I get that would help me go faster? I'm not building a 9 second car. just want more go from my daily driver until I can build a stroker.

• Sponsors (?)

I have to agree that some good aftermarket heads would be your best option. I had some well ported E7's, and yes that car ran good, but there was no doubt that the aluminums were better. It's all about setup though, it's more than one or two components, its about how they all work togeather as a system.