Help me build my engine from the ground up

DerekStangGT

My package is in the mail!
Feb 18, 2003
Hi guys, its been a while since I posted on here, and I've been out of the modification scene for a while, but I was thinking about dropping some more money.

Ideally I would like to drop in a T-56 and be done with the tranny, and then build an engine with forged internals, and some stage 1 heads and cams. I just don't have any idea where to start, what the hot new parts are, etc.

This car will be daily driven still. Shooting for about 300 rwhp (more concerned with reliability though) N/A. This car will not be supercharged!

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

If you can honestly say you will NEVER add a blower then I would start off by getting a set of rods from the new 5.0. They drop right in and you can get a set for around $250. They are stronger then the rods that are currenlty in the car. I would keep the stock cast crank. You can pick up a set of quality pistons from MPH. I would get a set of O.E. bearings or some from King. Buy some O.E. main bolts too. There is NO reason to buy ARP main studs.

As for the top end I would get yourself a set of MPH stage 1 heads and whatever cam Nick suggests. I would even go as far as to getting a head and cam package from him as it will come with rebuilt lash adjusters and rockers.

Going that route should net you a little over 300 at the wheels and leave you with plenty of cash left over for you to drop in a T-56. If you play your cards right you may even have some money left over. With that said I would call up Tousley ford for the rods and main bolts.

Hope this helps.

Can I ask why you do not want to add a blower to the car??? For 8k you can rebuild your motor, purchase a T56 and run a nice Intercooled Vortech on the car. It will make much more power than your NA build.
This car will still be daily driven, in fact it will be my only form of transportation, so I need it to be reliable. Yes a s/c would be nice, tons of power, but I'm more concerned with reliability.

If your staying N/A, then I do not see the point in going with a forged rotating assembly. But for 8k, might as well go all out.
So you think forged internals are overkill? My thought behind that was I would like the engine to last hopefully another 100k miles.

I don't want to spend money just for the sake of spending it though. If I can get by with just a new set of heads and cams, that's what I'll do. I was just saying I had up to 8k to spend if need be.

How is running a blower not reliable? If you get a good tune, and dont beat the **** out of it every day you'll be fine.
This. make sure the rest of the car is maintained well too though however. A 450rwhp car with stock axles getting some fun pulls is just asking for a broken axle.

I've gone almost 15k miles in a little over a year on my Vortech GT. I just make sure it always gets 93 and its oil changed and checked weekly. 380rwhp is still plenty for a DD Mustang.

+1

Someone clearly isn't educated on the reliability of the 4.6, even while being forced induced.
Adding a blower to a vehicle is just adding another thing that can break. Plus it puts extra strain on the engine, transmission, suspension and rear-end. Things will wear out sooner with that much power.

If I had a blower on my car, I would be inclined to drive it that much harder. It's a calculated risk to supercharge, yes, but it's still a risk. One that I'm not willing to take.