help me choose- Mach1 or 05/06 gt

VPStang

Founding Member
Oct 1, 2002
bHAM, alabama
I'm stuck between the 2. The things I would do to either puts me in a bind trying to choose between the two. Both will be black if at all possible. The mach I've seriously considered in Azure in which case I'll remove the mach1 paint theme. I'm really just after the 32v.
I really want the car to be a good daily driver thats good in curvy roads. I need help from anyone who can compare an upgraded tri link in the later model to the cobra irs. I've been told the 32v engine is insanely strong with boost in the upper RPM. I can only assume the 3v would react just as well. 3v more boost friendly due to lowe CR. I really need your help everyone....thanks...

Mach1 -
Vortech intercooled
Cobra IRS
18" fr500 hyper and staggered
cobra skirts
paint match the shaker
exhaust goodies

05/06 GT -
Vortech
Suspension upgrades
18" fr500 hyper and staggered
exhaust upgrades
bumper and hood upgrades

• Sponsors (?)

you'll be happier with the mach, ive driven both and i was more impressed with the mach 1. they have nice torque curves right out of the box. just put a tri-ax in and some other mods depending on how extensive you plan on moddin the car. but handling on them is fairly descent in stock trim also. go with the mach!

what would you guys think about the cobra irs vs. the new tri link rear axle. One would assume that and irs is still better.

Another question I've been pondering which is currently being debated in another thread...

4 valve vs an upgraded 2v head while still maintaining a daily drivability.

Does the mach1 4 valve have that jeckyll and hide effect like the honda vtec where it becomes a different animal after 3500 rpm?

what would you guys think about the cobra irs vs. the new tri link rear axle. One would assume that and irs is still better.

Another question I've been pondering which is currently being debated in another thread...

4 valve vs an upgraded 2v head while still maintaining a daily drivability.

Does the mach1 4 valve have that jeckyll and hide effect like the honda vtec where it becomes a different animal after 3500 rpm?

I guess u could somethin like that but its pretty beastly all the way through

Posted via Mobile Device

yes--I have every intention of getting a I/C Centri
From reading on the mach1registry forum...the setup is insane. Magazine article tested the vortech mach vs terminator--mach blew it away. Said the car was an absolute beast...

I'm thinking I'll probably do the irs swap first though...I've only read of 1 person doing it--I'm sure theres others out there--i just can't find anyone to chime in on the subject

A stock Mach 1 4V is making power all the way up to 6,000RPM. You will get planted firmly in your seat. If your gonna go with a blower you'll be planted firmly in the backseat. :D

Sounds like you should just get a 99 Cobra is you want something that already has IRS.

Eitherway, the 05 is much more refined. The interior is much nicer looking and less plasticy.

If you want more comfort, choose the 05.

Check my post on your Thread-Twin... Oh **** i'll go get it... all the same points still apply since neither of these cars have been modded. You prolly shoulda clarified that alot of people will just look and think your comparing two modded ones
Dude i dont know how you feel about colors but i wouldnt buy either of those vehicles and heres why...

You could probably find them cheaper, theres a brand new body style out, New Edge GT's are going for what like 10K right now? The new body style is sure to drop off fast too.

I would hold onto your money for another year or so... The values will just keep going down. And if Ford really does come out with that 400HP Coyote engine for stangs in 2011, buy that! If you cant afford a brand new mustang, then buy a Termi.... You can find them for around 21-22K now, Im sure they will be cheaper in a year after the new body comes out. Technically the KBB on them is what like 18? though i couldnt find one for that

Now some of these weird people called "adults" or something will try and tell you that a car is a method of personal transportation... Its not, its a status symbol, a phallic compensating device, and most of all a mobile entertainment module. People (myself included) seem to forget that cars are not investments... They are toys, toys that break. Buy them cheap and spend money on them to make them more enjoyable, but always realize that it is just that, and you can do it economically if you chooose the right platform. If i had bought a 5.0 and put some money into it all this time for what ive been paying on my car i couldve bought my car right now and owned two cars and still modded both of them... Hind sight is 20/20 i guess.. :shrug:

If i had the chance to get a divorce from my Comp Orange baby through the powers of time travel i'd def. have bought a fox body or 5.0 SN-95 for a few grand and just poured money into it. Now i am about to have a 22K dollar car payed off thats worth less than 10... :notnice:

No matter what you get chances are if your on here you wont be happy with it stock for long... Especially with 400Hp GT's, 440Hp Slomaro's, and all the other mind boggling 8/7ths sized monstrosities ... that seem to be completely counter intuitive to the market and a potential fuel crisis... but whatever. They will still be tough, even if they are driven mostly by dudes in their 40's and 50's.

With that in mind, both of these cars are going to be steep to modify one way or another, and your already paying a little too much for the MACH. With the Mach you have to pay alot more than regular GT parts (four cams instead of two etc.), the 3V isnt bad aftermarket but you have to spend a ton on body work so they dont look half retarded. My new edge feels heavy as **** to me... i couldnt imagine how an 05+ would feel.

If you cant afford a Cobra, i would go so far as to suggest getting just a regular New Edge GT for 10k and super charging it for a few grand... Or go N/A if you hate S/C's like me and get some trick flow heads... either way you'd still be below the cost of either of the choices youve mentioned and WAY WAY above on the fun factor scale.... Plus... ones yellow... the color of pee :(

At the risk of taking some heat--I really don't care for the Mach1 theme that much-
I just want the motor. It seemed like more money and trouble in doing a 4v swap then just simply getting a Mach1. I definitely want an IRS. I'm not thrilled about the idea of getting an older cobra because it's so hard to find one with low mileage and not showing a lot of wear and tear all around.

+1 i couldn't agree with u more. they are one of the best stangs ford has made since they finished the 60's era.