Help me choose tires!

Tire combo?

• BFG street tires in front, DRs in back.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Nitto street tires in front, DRs in back.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • BFG street tires all around plus a set of DRs on an extra set of cheap wheels.

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NIKwoaC

中國製造
15 Year Member
Oct 31, 2006
Chengdu Province
OK, so I'm finally doing the 'ol 5 lug swap on the '86. Its getting Cobra brakes at all 4 corners and 17X8/9 wheels with the NRC kit in the back. I've made pretty educated (thanks to StangNet) decisions with the rest of the combo, but the one thing I can't decide on is tires. Here are my options:

1. BFG 245/45 G-Force Sports front, 275/40 BFG drag radials in the rear. BFG is my preferred tire brand, but I know I won't get a lot of miles from the DRs.

2. Nitto front and rear, 245/45 street radial front and 275/40 drag radial in the rear. I'd lean to this combination because I'd get more miles from the Nittos.

3. BFG G-Force Sports all around (tires I've ran for years), and find a used set of 17X9 wheels to mount BFG DRs on, that I can take to the track with me. This way, burnouts and fishtails on backroads won't be so expensive, and the DRs will last me longer. :D

4. Make a suggestion.

• Sponsors (?)

I voted to run the DR's on spare wheels. I think you would get the most out of the DR's this way.I don't have any experience with DR's so I don't know how they handle the twisties or getting caught in a downpour but in my opinion I would just use them at the track.

depends what you want/ need out of the car if it doesnt need the BFG's id go with the nittos since they last longer. if you need the BFG's id go with a set of MT DR's on another set of 17's... only reason i wouldnt go with the BFG's is cuz for the same cost about the MT hook a TON better and wear about the same as ive seen. the nittos DR would make a good street tire where as it suffers at the track when put up against the BFG and MT.

I would run some BFG street tires all around & save the DR's for the track only... Mach 1 wheels should look great on your car, can't wait to see pics...

Well don't hold your breath, I probably won't finish it until the end of the month. My work schedule SUCKS right now, and I only get to put in a few hours on the weekends working on the car. There is a car show the 3rd of September I was hoping to take the car to, that is if I can fit it in with work...

i say if you're willing to get another set of 17" rims for the drag radials, why not just go and get a good set of wrinkle walls instead?

I voted #3, except why go with 17" wheels if they're going to be track only? 15" is the way to go... Big difference.

The car will have Cobra brakes at each corner... 15s aren't going to happen. The car will never be an all-out strip warrior, so I'm not worried about having a full blown set of drag tires, but I do want something sticky enough to actually be useful when the car does go to the track.