Help me decide on a truck!

pleasehelp

Mar 11, 2003
Poplar Grove, Il
I will be moving next friday to our new house. It is now going to take 15-20 minutes to and from work instead of 5 minutes like it is now. The stang has been out of commision all of this year and can't afford to fix it and drive it daily. We have been driving my gfs Jeep G. Cherokee but that tank only gets 14mpg and won't be able to afford putting $50 of gas in it every other day now.
So I have been looking at a Ford Rangers. What I can't decide on is weather to get a 4 cylinder on or get a 3.0L that can run on E85. Checked the prices today and E85 is at $1.99 and regular is $2.52. I guess when you run on E85 you get 10-15% less mpg than regular gas. So about 2-3 miles less per gallon.
Another thing is that winter is coming up so 4x4 would be nice and little extra oomph, and you can obviosly only get that with the 3.0 and 4.0(which I don't want) but then I would probably be getting the same mileage as the Jeep:notnice:. I guess I want good mpgs(4 cyl.) but not having to pay as much would be nice too(3.0L+E85).
So what do you guys recommend for me??
Oh, and the reason I don't want a car that gets 30+mpg is cause having a truck to haul stuff is going to be a necessity now. If you have other recomedations on trucks let me know. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Well, the 3.0 OHV Vulcan is like my favorite engine of all time. It's got to be the most durable engine in the world! The FFV Ranger's don't "ONLY" run on E-85. They can run regular, too. If you are looking to get the FFV Ranger, I think you may want to do a search for availibility in your area. Nobody sells it within 300 miles of me. Only go 3.0 if you get an older Ranger, though. I say this because the new 2.3 DOHC Ranger has alot of power & gets excellent gas mileage. Do NOT get an older 4 cyl. Ranger! .... unless you plan on doing a Turbo Coupe swap (awesome). I've been into Ranger's for years now ..... so if you need any more help, just let me know. Hope that helps a little.

Thanks Justin. I forgot to mention that there is a gas station about a couple of miles from where our house is at that carries it, and there will be more that will have it in my area so that's not a problem. I was told the same about the 2001+ 4 cylinder rangers but I still can't decide.

This one is a 96 but I love the way it looks. Notice the 99 Cobra rims:
19550Dsc00347-med.jpg

19550Dsc00349-med.jpg

19550Dsc00341-med.jpg

My '96 Splash looks almost exactly like that one. It is a little lower, though. I dropped it 6" in the rear & 4" in the front. It has my old '95 GT's 16" waffles on it right now. I WILL NOT post pics of it. Why you ask? It's under a complete new awakening. It getting 4 more cylinders!!! I will definitely post pics of the V8 Splash, though. It's also probably gonna get an Explorer front end grafted on before I'm finished.

BTW, the 2.3 Lima SOHC sucks!!! My advice still remains ...... get the DOHC!!!

pleasehelp said:
So Justin, what I get from your post is that you recommend getting a newer 4 cylinder Ranger. What's the difference between the new and old 3.0s? :shrug: Thanks.

Not a whole lotta difference in the 3.0's. I believe somewhere around '98 is where they switched to the composite intake ..... it has a little more power. 3.0's are not very "powerful" for 6 cylinders. That's why I had an Eaton M-90 slapped onto my last 3.0 truck. However, they are THE most "durable" engine.

The 3.0 FFV Ranger's have a total upgraded fuel system to accept the E-85. It has like special injectors, gas tank, fuel pump, fuel lines ..... everything. You CANNOT get the 3.0 Duratec engine in a Ranger .... so keep that in mind if you do a search on the engines. OHV only. 4.0's are good as well ..... but are usually way more expensive & suck down more gas.

95CobraMike said:
i just got a 2005 chevy colorado extreme, its a sweet truck (except for being chevy) inline 5 cyl. last fill up it got 21.38 mpg...not bad

5 cyl?

kinda off topic we have and 85 2.8 or 3.8 V6 (forget now) that thing is a POS worst motor Ford ever made. lol went to a dealer and got parts and when the guy asked the motor and I told him he was like oooooooh I was like yeah its a POS he goes yea not the best engine ford made up

good luck on deciding I'd say go for a Dodge but my ram is killing me at the pump gotta put gas in that beast every 3 days and from me putting 50 in it all the time back when it was really high i'm only able the put like 20 in it now

Have you looked at Toyota's their good trucks. Don't hear much bad things abotu them. I have an 86 and beat the hell outta that thing when I used to drive it. just a thought

I'm also into rangers and used to have one myself. My dad still drives it. We've had two Ford's with the Vulcan 3.0 and both of them have gone over 170K miles with no problems and what I call not so great maintenance.

I'd get a 3.0 ranger over the 4cyl, but that's just my opinion, not based on any facts really.....

That one is identical to the '98 I had .... except mine was blue. Great truck .... but with what I've seen them go for .... I wouldn't pay over $6500 for that one. See if you can talk them down.