Help me get my '89 2.3 L coupe running. I need advice.

I got an '89 bone stock, 4 cylinder, 5 speed mustang coupe GIVEN FOR FREE to me becasue my friend can't get it to run. I have played wiht it, and it cranks and cranks, but doesn't even try to hit. It is either the feul or iginition, right?
Where do I start? How do I check that fuel is being pumped up there, that it is firing, anything... I need some advice. This would make a greta little work car [email protected]

• Sponsors (?)

natejones75 said:
I got an '89 bone stock, 4 cylinder, 5 speed mustang coupe GIVEN FOR FREE to me becasue my friend can't get it to run. I have played wiht it, and it cranks and cranks, but doesn't even try to hit. It is either the feul or iginition, right?
Where do I start? How do I check that fuel is being pumped up there, that it is firing, anything... I need some advice. This would make a greta little work car [email protected]

I would get a friend or a remote starter to help check for sparks. Pull a plug wire off a spark plug and stuff something metal in the boot and place it close to a ground like the car frame. Leave a small gap so you can see a spark arch from the wire to the frame, then bump the starter. If you don't get and spark than its probly the TFI/EDIS. They may have a tester out that you can plug in to a spark plug wire to make it easier so I would check into that.

Well usualy on carbs I stand inside the car and look down on the carb to see if I can see fuel jetting in when I pump it. I'm not sure you can see it on a EFI car but I guess you could squert some fuel into the TB and see if it even trys to hit. Make sure you hear the fuel pump come on when you turn the ignition on, it should be a small winding sound from the back of the car. Just turn the key enough to like cut on the radio you don't have to bump the starter to get the fuel pump to cut on.

Thats probly not a big help but may get you pointed in that right dirrection.
I saw somewhere on someone sig where they said test are free but throwing parts at it is not :)

A couple things to check:
Try the fuel reset button in the trunk. It's supposed to shut of the fuel pump in an accident, but sometimes the switch will just pop.

Is the timing belt broken?

Check for spark by pulling a plug wire and carefully checking for arcing between the wire and the engine while someone else cranks the engine. Be careful, though. You don't want to be a human voltage tester.

You should be able to check for fuel pressure at the schraeder valve on the fuel rail. When you press it, fuel should spray out if the system is under pressure. Definitely don't do this while you're checking for spark.

Actually, a "great little work car" would be one that ran, but had a few problems.

To check for spark, remove a plug wire and put an exrta plug(or remove the one from the engine) and lay it on the fender while you crank it. You'll definutely see a spark if it is sparking.

checking for fuel... the safe way, is with a pressure guage on the shrader valve of the fuel rail. the not so safe way, would be to pull the fuel line (WITH NO PRESSURE ON IT) and aim it securely into a bucket or some such. turning the ignition to run position should pre-pressurize the fuel system, thus pumping fuel into the bucket.

for gods sake, dont do both tests at once. an open bucket with fuel in it, and uncontrolled sparks on your fender is a bad combination. :D

also check for air restrictions coming in. (air meter, air filter box, air silencer, throttle body)

there's a starting point for ya.
-Ryan