Help me identify this turbo

Hoytster

I don't dare do that to my Knob
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Dec 30, 2002
Cornwall, PA
Have no been having good luck with buying things off people lately. Received a turbo that I had bought off, who I thought was, a respected guy on one of the coyote swap groups on facebook. It was advertised as a fresh rebuilt Borg Warner, 82MM, T6 flange, 1.15 at, 5" V-band exhaust turbo. This would usually mean the turbo is a S400 based unit, with at minimum, a 88mm turbine with the 82mm comp wheel. Here's the original post:
Original Post Cropped.jpg

Here's what I received:
4544.jpeg

IMG_20181015_182906392.jpg

The comp wheel measures:
63mm Inducer
90mm Exducer
34.5mm Height
7 Blade Billet Wheel
4" Inlet
3" outlet

The turbine measures:
76mm Inducer
70mm Exducer
30mm Height
10 Blade
5.6" V-band Exhaust Outlet

I have never seen this turbo and can't find any information on it. It has a T4 flange (not the T6 like advertised) and the massive 5.6" exhaust outlet with the small 70mm turbine wheel. It obviously isn't an 82mm turbo. Anybody have any information or know of anywhere I could look? I've search every where and can't find a thing, and the guy that sold it to me is playing dumb now. I'm very pissed and have been very patient with this guy, sometimes I don't know why I try to be a nice guy...................

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Well, I think I 99% figured it out. It appears to be an S310G off a 2004-2005 Caterpillar C9 engine. That would explain the small wheel sizes, T4 flange and massive exhaust outlet. It is rated as a 63mm turbo with a 70mm turbine, wayyyyyyy too small for what my plans. I waited over a month to get this thing, now I get to fight to send it back. I did use paypal so I have that. And this is why I stick to the forums and don't buy off facebook........

Wow, how's you track that down? I spent a good 10 mins googling those numbers on it with no real leads

I've spent hours looking this thing up. Out of all the part numbers on that thing, I was only able to find "173951" on two sites, which is the bearing housing. That references the Shwitzer (now Borg Warner) part number for an S310 bearing housing. Tracing the Shwitzer S310 breadcrumb trail shows that particular turbo was used on caterpillar engines (I found a german site that listed the older Shwitzer turbos and their applications). I then searched all the specs I could find on caterpillar turbos up to 2007 (which is when I recall they mainly switched to VGT or variable output turbos) and came up with the S310G turbo as matching in wheel sizes, flange, and exhaust output sizing. Searched for that turbo part number online resulted in some nice pictures which confirmed what it is.