help me pick a cam

nisreo

Jul 22, 2006
Heres the setup

stock rebuilt 302 (90' OEM notched pistons)
explorer heads, intake and tb
1.6 rr's
150-175 wet shot nitrous ( at the track maybe a few times a year)
and the usual full exhaust, no a/c or smog

Car will be driven on weekends and a few times a week to work on nice days.

P.s, bonus points for idle vids of the cam.

• Sponsors (?)

Heres the setup

stock rebuilt 302 (90' OEM notched pistons)
explorer heads, intake and tb
1.6 rr's
150-175 wet shot nitrous ( at the track maybe a few times a year)
and the usual full exhaust, no a/c or smog

Car will be driven on weekends and a few times a week to work on nice days.

P.s, bonus points for idle vids of the cam.

People here are not fans of the FPR cams but nevertheless they are extremely popular. I have a F303 with a fairly stock motor but Im carb'd. I would think youd be fine with the same, or at least a E or B...

BTW, check out The Tube for vids. There are literally tons. Just type in what type of cam youre interested in hearing.

Jon

:stupid:

stay stock or go with a custom grind. contact Jay allen at camshaft innovations if you interested in a custom grind.

I'm with these guys on this one, stay stock. There are a couple of local guys running just about the same setup..explorer top end and spray and put down some pretty decent et's with the stock cam and they run great on the street. save the cam swap for better heads down the road. you could degree the stock cam, advance it, swap to 1.7's etc. to pull some more out the stocker if needed.

There really is no point in swapping cam on a stock type setup. The added duration of the cams as compared to the stock cam just moves the power band slightly up in the rpm. Most test have shown minimal gains. Its just not worth it in the price vs. performance scheme of things. I have a F303, and have used the e303 on occasions. And if it wasnt for the numercally higher gears that I normally run, these cams would be dogs at the bottom end. 3000-3500 it picks up nicely, but with a stock setup you run out usable RPMS fast anyways.

Stock cam it is. Im building on a budget so anywhere I can save money is a plus. I was only planning on doing it for the simple fact the motor is already out of the car and would rather do it now than later. Thanks for the info.

could always get a RGR stock spec grind... now a guy running a ***edit*** 310 with one of them with E7's going 11.0's on nittos.. :)

I'm sure there are alot of good cams out there and even more opinions. But I can testify to the B303. It has a fairly aggresive idle. Nothing too wild, but definetly a head turner at the gas pumps. Once a guy came up to me and said "she knows she sounds good" lol. The main thing I like about the B cam is that it really pulls hard above 4000 rpms. And when you're asking for real power, imo, thats where it should be. With the 3:73's, low end torque will not be an issue at all. And when the tach hits 4 grand... hold on.

Before I posted, B cam was where I was heading. I do like the idea of a slightly lopey (sp?) idle, even if it doesnt provide massive power gains. B cam does sound so nice according to youtube, even with blowmasters

He does have gt40p's from what he's saying. They are a ton better than stock. I would say go custom or take a look at AFM cams. I also know alot of ppl use tfs1 with 40p's. I personally like afm cams better as far as off the shelf cams go. I just took a B cam out of the setup in my sig. Sounded great and pulled hard.