Help me pick an aluminum radiator for a supercharged fox please.

Naja

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Mar 12, 2004
Florida
93 cobra
supercharged w/
electric fan

I need a new radiator to replace my 3 core now. As of now there is very little clearance with the one I am using. I wanted go with a 3 core aluminum but I hear those are slightly bigger than the regular 3 core. I have also heard of guys notching out the plastic in the electric fan to make room for it.

I want one with aluminum cores as well. Any suggestions on what brand I should go with? Thanks. :nice:

~Jason

View attachment 489810

• Sponsors (?)

I ran an AFCo on my blown 331, and have buddy running one on a blown 347. And using a volvo fan, that can be found on Ebay and Corral..This is a thread I posted on 4eyedpride about the fans, but you can see the AFCO rad..

I put about 5 of these on for guys around here, 3 of them were on blown & stroked cars. The move allot of air and are reasonably thin, around 3.75"'s for you blower guys..And they have a decent size shroud. I installed them with an adjustable Thermo switch and let them work on their own...

Just trim off all the extra tabs and it fits great. On stock sized rads they fit without trimming the shroud, but have to trim some on the AFCO rads I put them on. On stock sized rad they cover any where from 90-100% of the fins... And on the AFCO rads, it cover 100% of the fins..

Here a few pics of one I put on a blown 347 car with 8 rib 8" renegade pulley.. Can see the one pic where the shroud had to be trimmed for the AFCO rad. Also put one a Novi 2000 car with th 10 rib set-up and it fit. That car had a FMS aluminum rad and had about 1/8 to 1/4 inch clearance.. Don't have any pics of that install, and will try too get soem next time I work on that car...

But will definatley need to upgrade to a 130 amp altenator... :?

afco_rad_mod...jpg

volvo_top.jpg

volvo_side.jpg

Thanks for the replies. :nice:

That fan looks a bit thinner than the one that I have on there now. I like the radiator though. I think I may have to go with a dual core aluminum. I spoke to the guys at Be Cool and they seem to think it should fit fine with my set up. They are on sale now for $349. Here is a link to the one I am thinking of.

http://www.becool.com/products_rads_cross.cfm

I just put in the summit direct fit alum. radiator. It looks to be the same size as the AFCO in the prior pic. I was able to reuse my factory shroud with a little trimming near the charger belt. I also have a flex fan. Im sure i would have more room with an elect. fan.

Thanks for the post. Both of those look really nice. Less expensive to. What's the measurement on the thickness? The one I have in there now is 1 7/8" thick. The B.C dual core is 2" thick. I am sure I can make an 1/8th fit.

Anyone using the Be Cool dual core direct fit?