Help me pick an exhaust

I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death, but any how here we go. I've finally gotten around to getting a cat back system for my mustang, but of course the question of which one is for me has come up. I've narrowed it down to three choices: 1. flowmaster 40 series("American Thunder") 2. Magnaflow stainless cat back or 3. Spintechs and find some pipes? do they make a cat back?. Right now my car is a daily driver, it's mechanically stock, and I want something a little bit more exciting than the meineke crap thats on it now. I'm 17, so loud is good, but not too loud. Also i don't have unlimited funds, so cheaper is always better. But anyhow throw some opinons out there, I'd love to hear what you all think is best.

• Sponsors (?)

I like shorty headers, off-road h-pipe to a set of spintech prostreets dumped, but others don't like exhausts being dumped:shrug:
Right now I have shorties, off-road h-pipe and dumped flowmasters, but will be switching to the spintechs very soon.

The problem with the Magnaflow is that it's a 3" tip and tapers down to 2.5" near the rear wheel and you can see the weld. Really looks bad.

I went through this a year ago and got a Dynomax SuperTurbo catback. Pretty quiet compared to the dronemasters that were on there, but you can tell it's not stock. Fit and finish is outstanding. At the time, Steeda had the best price for $375 shipped.

Ive never heard the magnaflows on a 5.0 so i cant say if i like them or not, but im running 3" in and out flowmasters and love it, and a friend of mine used to have spintechs and they sounded awsome too. The sins have that cool raspy sound, and flows have that classic low rumble. Eigther is a good choice.

If you wanna hear Magnaflows, here's my car
View attachment 256475
View attachment 256476

You have 3 very different options picked out. The Magnaflows and Spintechs are kinda similar in that they're on the raspy side but the Flows are more old school rumble. They're also gonna drone more than the Magnaflows and Spintechs. Out of the 3 the Flows are definitely the cheapest, with the Spintechs probably being the most expensive but the only kit i've seen a price on is for their side exit setup which is about $550...never seen a tail pipe kit from them. The Magnaflows will run you about $440 or so.

I accidently posted the same vid twice....the second vid is just normal cruising sound.

I like it a lot. The only thing i don't care for aside from the way the tail pipes are like mentioned above is the idle is really tame sounding compared to Mac/Flowmaster and other chambered mufflers. It's so muffled that you can barely hear my cam lope and i've got a fairly big cam. I wanna find some Mac tail pipes but otherwise i'm pretty set on the mufflers. If i find some Spintechs for a good price i'll probably try them out though. One detail on my setup is that i have an X pipe....they sound totally different with an H.

I'm running BBK longtubes, MAC prochamber, and spintech prostreets. I love the way it sounds: raspy, relatively loud idle, but SCREAMS at WOT. Hop on youtube and watch some clips, but take into account the type of performance mods people are running. An engine, in essence, is an air pump. Performance mods like high flowing heads, intake manifolds, no catalytic converters, headers, or a supercharger or turbo move MUCH more air through the motor. More air through the motor means more air through the mufflers and at higher velocity. In other words, don't think a set of spintechs or magnafows will sound the same on your stock 5.0 as they sound on a twin turbo dart-blocked 347. :nice:

Piece together your own setup. Personally, I'd recommend:

1. OEM shorties or any unequal-length aftermarket shorty headers;
2. Jeg's Off-road X-pipe;
3. 2.5" flow tubes (Walker, MAC, and others sell them as a pair);
4. A pair of your 2.5" offset inlet/outlet mufflers of choice (I'd go with Magnaflows);
5. Dynomax 2.5" stainless tailpipes.

The total cost will be comparable to your average cat-back setup, but the fitment will be far better, and you can always swap out the mufflers with something else later on if you want ... whereas some kits like Flowmaster weld their crap together so you can't, or they have funky flanges that won't let you use their tailpipes with other mufflers. The Jeg's X-pipe goes together easy as pie and fits great, plus it's one of the cheapest ones available with transmission crossmember hangers - those other X-pipes without the hanger usually suck because your exhaust winds up sagging in the middle and dragging on the ground (plus they seem to hang lower in the front ... or at least my UPR X-pipe does).

I would simply recommend the Magnaflow cat-back instead of piecing one together, but I hate the way their tailpipes look. :notnice:

Something tells me Magnaflow would sell a lot more cat-backs if they do something about those tails. I'm running the SS tailpipes from the Dynomax catback I bought 15-years ago (1st mod on my '90!). The mufflers are long gone but the tailpipes are still in great shape.

Something tells me Magnaflow would sell a lot more cat-backs if they do something about those tails. I'm running the SS tailpipes from the Dynomax catback I bought 15-years ago (1st mod on my '90!). The mufflers are long gone but the tailpipes are still in great shape.

Same here. I had the Dynomax Super Turbo cat-back, and while the fitment was great and the tails still look awesome, those mufflers SUCK for sound - just as quiet as OEM. I threw some Pypes Violators on there a few years back and while I don't exactly hate those mufflers, I'm probably going to switch to Magnaflows because I'd like something a little more tame ... but the Dynomax tails still look like new after almost 5 years, and they'll be staying on whenever I switch mufflers. :nice:

Thanks for the advice, I ended up ordering the magnaflow system. I got a good price on it so i went with that. It looks like a pretty complete system, plus I like the stainless. The tail pipes maybe hideous but if it comes to the point that I absolutely hate them i figure I'll cut the magnaflow tips off and just get something else and have that welded on. so I guess I'll see how it works out, I ordered it yesterday so hopefully I'll have it by this weekend and be able to get it on the car.