Help Me Pick My Combo (HCI etc)

turbogt

May 1, 2003
Montana
I'm in the same dilemma I've been in for a long time with my car and I'm finally ready to do something about it..

Right now I'm running my vortech with stock HCI and FMU..

First thing first, I'm ordering 60# injectors, a new mass air, and Quarterhorse tuner..

I've wanted to do HCI for a long time now, but haven't because things start to get carried away..

I plan on spinning my blower as hard as I can, and I don't want to be limited by an entry level head such as AFR 165's or TW as cast 170's..

The problem is, if I run the heads that I want (AFR 185's or 185 comps), I would need to Notch pistons, and if I had to notch pistons, I'd might as well rebuild it, which is where a $2500 project turns into a $6000 project, because if I were going to rebuild it, I wouldn't waste my time or money with the factory block, and on and on and on..

So, right now, I'm having a really hard time choosing an intake Manifold..

I want one that will line up with both my GT40's and my future AFR's without too much work.. I'm going to go to a fox body conversion so a 94-5 specific intake doesn't really matter.

The 3 that I'm looking at are the Trickflow R series, Holley Systemax II, and Edelbrock RPM II..

I'm trying to find the best intake that will bolt on now but isn't going to choke me later.. I really dislike the 75mm opening on the RPM II, I can't find what size opening the holley has, and the R series with the 90mm opening seems great except its probably overall too big.. I don't really even plan on spinning much past 6000, 6500 max, even later on with a built motor and HCI..

I've read that the R series doesn't line up with AFR's worth a ****, and I know the Holley is a great FI intake, but seems to have some quality control problems.

So, next month..

I will be ordering
60# Injectors
SCT 2800 MAF
Quarterhorse
Accufab 90mm throttle body and EGR plate
and everything else to convert to the fox body setup..

So, Which intake do I want???

• Sponsors (?)

I'm seriously thinking about just buying a 408 shortblock and leaving everything thats in the car the way it is, minus the injectors, tune, and maf...

I get about a $5000 vacation check every december so I think I might do it this winter

Fordstrokers has a built 408 roller for $2800, but then the afr's would set me back another 2 grand just by themselves....

what to do what to do

I deal with all the parts you listed if I can help you out let me know, but here are my thoughts to your questions...

TB opening on the intake only matters if your putting a large TB in front of it, if you want to run the 90mm TB Id go with the TFSR, the TFS box or a Spyder Style set-up. (A Super Victor Spyder with elbow will support the power and large TB). You really dont need the 90mm TB, a 75-80mm TB will support well into the 1000hp range with no issues. What discharge pipe are you going to run between the TB and blower?

With a boosted combo you can get away with a larger manifold, other wise Id suggest the Holley, it will have a great HP/TQ curve and still support a lot of power....especially since your not looking at over 6500rpm, its a very logical choice.

I end up milling almost all intakes to get proper fit on the motors, more so with a AFR head.

I love the AFR heads but if you want to put a large head on it now the TFS is your only choice with the rotated valve. The larger 190cc CNC head is about $1400 and it is a great head, if the 64cc chamber drops your compression out of the range you want, milling will take care of that.

I'm seriously thinking about just buying a 408 shortblock and leaving everything thats in the car the way it is, minus the injectors, tune, and maf...

I get about a $5000 vacation check every december so I think I might do it this winter

Fordstrokers has a built 408 roller for $2800, but then the afr's would set me back another 2 grand just by themselves....

what to do what to do

I'm going to be selling/parting out my engine once I get this stock 5.0 running. ;) It's not professionally built but it is set up for a blower.

or, you can give me the 5 grand and go home with the motor out of my stang. it was professionally built (the damn thing cost me damn near 10 grand!)

and i'll thrown in the victor junior lower i have for it. you can have have the tranny too.

just another possible option.

or you can buy the victor junior straight up. it was converted for fuel injection and comes with rails.