Help me pick my Heads/Cam/Intake combo

Gears & Crosses

Founding Member
Nov 15, 2001
Southern, Miss.
I am looking to buy new Heads/Cam/Intake for my 86 GT. It will be going on a 306. I have Mass Air / T-5 /3.73s. I do not want to change my rear gear now or in the future (I like my current cruise rpm). I want the car to be a cruiser that will go to the track ocassionally (4 times a year?). Driveabilty is a concern and I would like to keep half decent fuel mileage. Having said this, what is the max HP combo I can get? Also what size TB and injectors? I have around $2800 saved.

The TFS street heat kit seems to be the baseline to me. I am looking at AFM 6200 N/A kit also.

Your expert opinion is needed,
Gears

• Sponsors (?)

the afm kit is pretty stout, with a better cam than the tfs kit.. i would def go with that one or the high rev II with the n-51 cam, tune it cause its a wild cam, but it makes some NICE power..

Thanks for all replies!!! It seems Rick knows his stuff from what I see. I think the N-51 is too much for me. I am thinking the N-41 is too much actually. I kinda like the N-412 but I dont have any opinions on it.

Gears

With my combo i made 320 hp but the driveability isnt too great but i think if you got 165's and a little smaller cam you will be alright and still make great power, problably around 300 or a little more.

Thats a neat combo you have there. If this car wasn't a cruiser I would almost do that exact build up. My only issue with the 165s is future upgrades. I mean, if I added a power adder two years from now, would they work for me? Have you heard of someone using 185s with a mild cam and intake? Like say the TFS stage 1 cam and a Typhoon intake?

Thanks for your opinion,
Gears

Thanks for all replies!!! It seems Rick knows his stuff from what I see. I think the N-51 is too much for me. I am thinking the N-41 is too much actually. I kinda like the N-412 but I dont have any opinions on it.

Gears

the n-41 isnt that bad at all!! the tfs kit is nice but the stage 2 is kind on the wild side, and the stage 1 is too tame, thats my reasoning for the afm kit, either way i think the afm kit is better..

The more I look around, it seems I keep coming back to TFS.

I maybe anal, but I really don't like the way the street heat intake looks.

???
Gears

well I get pretty animated about gears on here on a daily basis, because people have read in magazines that the 3.73 is the best gear for a 5.0, I personally hate the 3.73 gear, not so much the fact that it doesn't perform like a 4.10, but they have never tried a 4.10 and already say its bad.. That's what gets me!!

my opinion is buy 4.10's for a modded 5.0 Ive had a couple 5 liter cars with 4.10's and they all have gotten 24mpg easily, and cruise at 70mph at 2500rpm. and my cars would regularly beat out the lesser geared cars, I mean really that's what ya want right?

I have the holley heads/intake and Z cam, makes 325rwhp, love it, super reliable, good mpg, idles perfect, drives like a stock 5.0.........that is, until you hammer it, haha

+1 for 4.10s, if it feels kinda steep you can you get a taller tire, tire size makes a big dif.