Help Me Reinstall Smog Pump

Kanesrage

Jan 14, 2004
Help Me Reinstall Smog Pump, PIC INSIDE

I have the top bolt in that goes through the alt bracket but i cant figure out the bottom bolt. it looks like it should fit in this one spot but the bolt hole is too big and has no threads is there another bracket for the bottom? This is for an 82 Mustang GT 302 5.0

smogpump.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Is this the bolt that holds the timing pointer on? If so I couldnt find out were it goes either and left it on. If I remeber right the top bolt was lose also and had the threads on the other side which I think was the heads on the side. The bottom might be the same.

I think the person that took this stuff off broke the bolt off in there so im gonna try sticking a bolt into hole head first and a nut on the other side infront of the timing indicator and the bracket. I dunno if it will stay but at least its something.

That's the bottom eh? I'm pretty sure, i remember that my old SMOG pump (from my old car) had a bracket, or piece of metal that held it in place, which bolted to the block... i think the bolt used was that stud sticking out, to the right of your question mark.

well see i got a bracket off a car at a local junkyard and it bolts on to the bottom hole with a stud just like the above it. But theres no threads on the bottom on mine and it seem like it wont go in far enough. Heres a pic of how i have it riged in there for now.
smogbrackettimindi.jpg

goldbomb79 said:
ok the bracket in the last pic was supposed to mount on one of the timing chain cover studs I think. it's been awhile since i took nie off.

well in that pic it is mounted on the timing cover, well actually the bolt is suppose to go through and into the block behind the cover. but after digging my way to the timing cover so i can change the gasket for the bottom (top of oil pan is leaking) I discovered the reason why i couldnt get any bolt to catch in that hole. There really is a broken bolt in there :notnice: but at least i know I wasnt crazy for thinking thats where it belonged. :D