help me spend 800 bucks!

gary_g

Founding Member
Aug 1, 2002
AZ
Well, I have a few bucks saved up, and it's about time to waste it on my car :) I'll start off with a list of performance/drivetrain mods I already have, so hopefully someone can recommend something that will work well with what I got:

* Ford Racing 3.73:1 gears
* MAC 70mm throttle body
* MAC cold-air intake
* Kirban underdrive pulleys
* BBK LT ceramic-coaded headers
* BBK off-road X-pipe
* MAC cat-back exhaust
* Pro-5.0 short throw shifter
* SPEC stage 2 clutch
* Granatelli Motorsports clutch cable/quadrant
* UPR Xtreme firewall adjuster
* Ford Racing aluminum driveshaft

I have a bunch of suspension and other mods, but I'm only concerned with upgrading the performance with this 800 bucks... So here's what I've been playing around with in my mind:

* chip? maybe some sort of programmer?
* mass air sensor?
* perhaps a wms racing high-velocity CAI + MAF instead?
* plasma booster?
* bigger TB and upper intake plenum/spacer?

Please help me out, there's so many choices for this stuff out there, I'd like to find a combo that works. I can toss in a few extra dollars too if it means the difference of getting something that works well.

Thanks guys,

-g

• Sponsors (?)

claytucc3 said:
24lb injectors, MAF, plenum and TB then a custom dyno tune. I have seen stock cars gain up to 4 tenths in the 1/4 mile with just a good tune.

clay :flag:
I think his $800 would be gone before he got to the tune. Why would you suggest 24 lb injectors on a stock motor?

I agree with Wills 98, what are your long term plans. Just save the money for part of the supercharger fund. You are 1/5 of the way there. If the money is really burning a hole in your pocket, then I would go with an intake plenum, a new MAF (you will probably have to modify your Mac CAI, I did), and then some drag radials for the rear.

long term plans are a built motor and custom turbo setup. :D

I'm just driving the stock motor till it dies, and looking for a little more fun until then.. Its got a hair under 100k on it, so the end is coming... I already have drag radials, I only listed the performance/drivetrain mods earlier.. here's a full mod list:

* Ford Racing 3.73:1 gears
* MAC 70mm throttle body
* MAC cold-air intake
* Kirban underdrive pulleys
* BBK LT ceramic-coaded headers
* BBK off-road X-pipe
* MAC cat-back exhaust
* Pro-5.0 short throw shifter
* SPEC stage 2 clutch
* Granatelli Motorsports clutch cable/quadrant
* UPR Xtreme firewall adjuster
* Ford Racing aluminum driveshaft
* Mr. Gasket driveshaft safety loop
* Tokico struts (front)
* Tokico shocks (back)
* MAC progressive-rate springs
* HPM caster/camber plates
* Custom subframe connectors
* MAC white gauge faces
* Autometer lunar 5" tach/shift light
* Autometer lunar fuel pressure gauge
* Autometer lunar A/F ratio gauge
* Autometer tach adapter
* DMP Speedcal
* MIL eliminators
* Corbeau CR1 seats
* Schroth Rallye 4 harness belts and pads
* UPR aluminum shift knob
* UPR aluminum interior accents
* Cervini's Cobra-R front bumper
* Cervini's Cobra-R hood
* Mr. Gasket locking hood pins
* AFS 03 Cobra chrome 17x9 / Nitto 555 275/45r17 (front)
* AFS 03 Cobra chrome 17x10.5 / Nitto 555R 315/35r17 (back)

I'd really like the benefit of the advanced timing and also the upper intake plenum... which is why I was leaning towards the chip/tuner and intake plenum.. but then again i still have a stock MAF, and I heard that the MAC CAI's suck... so that drove me towards the WMS high-velocity tubes since they come with a 95mm pro-m MAF. Someone said not to waste time with the plasma booster... I thought those things had dyno runs to back them up... ????

Thanks for all the input so far,

-g

micool said:
I think his $800 would be gone before he got to the tune. Why would you suggest 24 lb injectors on a stock motor?

Because if you do the math the stock 19 lb injectors are already tapped out from the factory. thus the reason FORD started to install 21 and 24 lb injectors on the 02 and 03's. Also If you are buying a mass air and it needs to calibrated to an injector it is the time to buy them. All I have are bolt ons and gained 2/10ths in the 1/4 n/a with the 24lb injectors.

lopey4.6 said:
Also the stock 19# injectors are not tapped out from the factory. I am making the numbers in my sig. on stock injectors and my A/F is perfect until 6200 rpm.
Kind of my thoughts too. Haven't heard of the stock injectors being tapped out from the factory either. I didn't make the numbers you did with nos but on a previous car I made 332 with 19s.