HELP!!! My ignition is sticking..?:(

Mar 30, 2005
Need some help guys... For some odd reason, my ignition is sticking.. I mean all of a sudden it just keeps turning with the key on the off position and even after the car has started:shrug: . I've changed the battery and starter is practically new. The only way to stop it is by disconnecting my ground on the battery.. It's to where it's turning all the time now so my car is outside sitting with the battery disconnected.. I have an MSD 6al, crane cams fireball, and stock distributor.. The usual stuff really.. I'm at a loss and need help badly. Any advice is direly appreciated cause this car is my means of transportation... I've also disconnected my switch to see if it might be the culprit and it seems to be ok unless i'm just not disconnecting something I might have missed....HELP PLEASE!!!

• Sponsors (?)

mine did the same thing after a new starter install. Make sure u have to grounds wire coming from the battery. one to block ans one to the fender well. Mine didnt have thqat causing it to do it. Dont know y it causes it tho:shrug:

Yeah I hooked up my starter solenoid backwards once and that's what it was doing. It's either your starter solenoid or you got somthing crossed at the starter.

Is it just the starter that runs when it should not?

In addition to what was already said, how does the ignition switch wiring look? If you melt the insulation on an ignition wire and the starter interlock wire (white/pink, IIRC), and they connect, every time you close the clutch/neutral safety switch, the starter can engage.

It should take but 15 mins to run down the entire circuit to find the issue. FWIW, the aero foxes had an ignition switch recall - I am not sure if four eyes were under the same campaign or not (I doubt it, but I dont know).

I would start at the solenoid and work backwards. Good luck.

Check the solonoid on the driver's side fenderwell. Check it first. One wire should have the + battery side going to it, along with other accesories, but the one should have the wire going to just the starter. There is a signal wire which is on it's own prong. When you turn the ignition to the "start" position, you should get power to the one signal wire which activates the solonoid. When you let go it should not have power, if it does, then the ignition switch is bad. If it looses power but the car continues to crank, then the solonoid is either at fault or it's the starter. So see if from that point the starter is getting power. If it is, then the solonoid is bad, if it isn't then the starter is sticking onto the flywheel.