Help: My N/A 2.3L is dangerously slow - What are some cheap mods?

JadeFalcon

Founding Member
Mar 28, 2002
Arlington, TX
I drive this in dallas traffic every day, and it is SO slow, its actually dangerous, I've almost kill myself pulling into traffic a few times. Being aggressive is a prerequisite around here, and my 2.3L is so damn slow its hilarious. It has a full roller valvetrain with an FMS cam, what can I do to squeeze a little more pwoer out of it? stock down to the paper air filter and silencer.

• Sponsors (?)

make a CAI put a K-n...what year is it? put some premium and up the timming. The best mods i did for my n/a was weight removal. Is it a 5 speed or an auto? if an auto ...well sorry, not much u can do.(besides a 5speedswap)

exactly. Advance the timing, but I doubt you will gain anything running more than 14*, no matter what octane you run.
You mentioned pulling out into traffic as being a trouble spot, so I would suggest getting gears. These will help you accelerate betterfrom a stop especially.

Ray III said:
BZZZZZZTT

Running fuel that does not ping as easily will allow you to advance ignition timing.
But running 100 octane just to have 18 degrees timing does nothing.
If you have to run premium in a car that only requires 87 octane just to run more timing, which you dont need, then your car has problems.