HELP need to find the least expensive way to put AC in a 68 Mustang

John from Hemet

Apr 6, 2005
I am not a mechanic myself but I have slowly been paying to put together a 68 mustang for my son.

Most of it is done (some of the other things he will pay for himself this when he works this summer) but one thing is a real problem.

We live in Southern California and it gets really hot down here. The mustang has no ac in it right now. I plan on tinting the windows but what is the best/cheapest way to put ac into a 68 mustang that does not have it.

I see kits on the internet but I dont know if that is the way to go.

Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know about cheapest, but the least headache would be a kit. I did the Classic Auto Air 'perfect fit kit' five or so years ago. Very easy, and routes along the stock locations for all pieces. Very clean, easy to install.

x2 Do a search. I have posted about this before. I've installed Vintage, and Classic. Classic was by far an easier, cleaner, better fitting system.
You could piece an original system together, but by the time you replace the evap, expansion valve, condensor, assuming Murphey's Law, you would be farther ahead just getting a kit with all new stuff. Will save you in the long run.
http://www.classicautoair.com/Mustang6768.asp

:D Least expensive ? Remove the back seat, cover the upper seat opening with a panel, cut a hole thru this and mount a small 110V A/C unit in the hole. Run it via a 110V converter off the 12V system.:D Simple, effective & cheap