HELP need to swap trans...AOD and t56 questions

rdharper02

like kicking myself in the junk
10 Year Member
May 8, 2006
Long story short, I need a trans that can handle over 500ftlbs of tourque. My t-5 is doing it thanks to a slipping clutch, but will likely grenade if fixed. I looked into TKO600's and keep hearing about shifting problems, so I am concidering a T56 or going auto with an AOD. It comes down to cost and ability to upgrade in the future. What I need is a list of parts for both swaps so I can compare. How hard is it to put an auto into a former stick mustang, what needs to be converted etc. On the 56, can I utilize my FRPP driveshaft with another yoke?
Alot of questions, but Its enough money to buy another FOX.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I honestly am concidering the "Son of tranzilla", but hate Rockland's site. I'm still outside the country and cant afford to call 12 times for pricing. I have heard nothing but good things though.

I've heard good and bad on the TKO's. I really would like to get the 600, but have heard alot of bad reviews. I'm more calm than some and can ensure the bell is indexed and the tranny is broken in properly, but if that doesnt do it, I'm 3500 away from a T-56. Who knows, maybe the auto would be alright. I will miss having a manual.

Does anyone have an exploded view showing the parts necesarry for the AOD. I dont know squat about automatics. I figure theres the back plate, tourque converter, tranny and fill tube, but know I am missing something.

No word from D&D on the viper spec t-56 and I found a roller 91 for a decent price (my fow suffers from the Midwest salt mines).