Help needed to decide on a manifold

04-SVT

Sep 5, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
I tried searching, but can't get a definate answer. So, thought maybe someone has a combo similar to mine and can chime in. And would like some ideas on what manifold I should get the best results so my heads can breath right.
Mods: 331 cubes, 8.8 comp ratio, AFR185 heads, 1.72 rockers, 80mm pro-m, 30# injectors, basanni exhaust all the way to the back, and 9 psi of boost. Boost will most likely go higher in the very near future too.

So what do you guys think the best manifold would be that suit my needs? The car pushes over 400 rwhp, (dyno'd over 400 with my old gt-40 heads) so my Cobra intake I think has served its purpose and I think is choking my car now instead of helping. I heard the Cobra intake is only good for about 350 rwhp right? I have heard the Trickflow Track Heat is pretty good, any truth to that?
Any opinions welcomed
thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I'd get something that has similar flow numbers as the 185 heads. I saw an intake flow comparison chart (sometime ago) but can't remember where. In addition the the track heat, you may want to check out the Holley systemax and Edelbrock performer rpm.

On the combo I would use a Holley Systemax intake....

We made 425/465 to the rear wheels in our 93 Cobra with a 331, ported stock cast iron GT40's, Extrude honed Cobra intake, Crane 2031 cam, 36# inj, 83mm Pro-M, Vortech A-Trim 9psi, fully emissions and accessories, tuned with a PMS... Besides the blower just being out of air and being way overspun to get the 9psi, the intake was the retriction.

The new combo for our 93 Cobra is a 327 DART based set-up, AFR185's, Canfield Spyder Intake, Custom Solid Roller, 75mm TB, 83mm Pro-M, 72# inj, YS-Trim Renegade kit, tuned with a PMS :D From the outside it still looks factory stock.

215816_14.jpg

So whats up with the track heat intake? My buddy can get me that intake, new, for $400 even. Good deal or should I still consider another intake cause it better? Money isnt really a problem, I was thinking of spending about 700 max though on this intake purchase

I wasn't a fan of the port alignment of the TFS intakes with the AFR head personally. It is a good intake but I feel you'll make more power across the range with the Holley.

My $.02

I went with the Holley intake. Hopefully I wont be disappointed. One thing I didn't like though is the "shiny" finish on it. I havent seen it in person, but from the pictures, it looks cheap
Thanks for the advise though guys

The Intake is Powder Coated with a color called almost Chrome, it will actually dual slightly once some heat cycles get through it. You will not be disappointed, the intake works very well.

215816_15_full.jpg

seems to me most of the resriction in the cobra is the lower, am i wrong in this assumption, i had mine matched to my heads, and it looks like it flows really clean, i can't imagine with forced induction application that the cobra intake would be that much of a bottleneck, i am i wrong?

Tmoss has some good info on his site for porting intakes. I used it when I ported my stock H.O. intake and made 248whp with ported stock heads. Also don't over look the RPM II from Edelbrock. It flows slightly better then the systemax. Numbers of course, I sure would like to see a ported RPM II vs. ported systemax on a supercharged 331 or 347.