Help. Noise with TCP power rack

jmenke

Founding Member
Nov 8, 1999
Melbourne, FL
I have had a power assist Total Control Products rack and pinion steering unit on my '66 convertable for over 2 years now (I only put less than 3K miles on it a year).

I am experiencing noise with it. Sounds like water rushing through pipes in a wall similar to when you turn a shower on.
I also, on occasion, get a shrill whine when I turn at RPM over 2000 (not lock to lock, but in any amount of steer).

I am using a stock '88 5.0L T-bird pump that I rebuilt (same as a 5.0L Mustang). My car in fuel injected. The pump worked fine with the stock '66 power assist unit.
I have installed an adjustable flow regulating valve on the pressure side of the pump, and it does change RPM ranges before it whines, but the whine does not go away completely and the rushing fluid sound still exists.

Total control suggested I purchase a KRC pump due to the flow/pressure needed.
KRC indicates that they do not a pump similar to the KRC 20000 that mounts to the stock PS/AC Ford brakets yet.

Anyone out there that has had similar issues, and did changing the pump cure it?
This is irritating, and I am about ready to get rid of this rack for something else.

thanks,
Jim

• Sponsors (?)

Whining in my experience (with Aussie Falcons, the ultimate of cars with embarressing noises that come with age) is the pump, either something is wrong with it, or as I suspect, it is trying too hard. My current work car has the squelch at full lock, which I believe happens because the pressurised fluid is still being told to turn the wheels, but they can't go any further, and so is finding a lot more resistance. This leads me to believe that what you are having is a pump being strained constantly - it may need to flow more. I know that makes the steering lighter, and most likely too light, but that's why TCP offer the KRC pump. That's what it sounds like to me anyway.

Sounds like the pump is not supplying enough fluid to operate the system properly. That is the exact sound a stock p.s. system makes when it is low on fluid. If you cannot increase the flow, go with the KRC.

"Anyone out there that has had similar issues, and did changing the pump cure it?
This is irritating, and I am about ready to get rid of this rack for something else."

Send it my way i will even pay shipping :D

I'm in the same boat. I've had the TCP Power Rack on my '67 Cougar for less than a year. It's not clear to me whether the noise (whining, etc.) is emitted by the stock '93 5.0L ps pump working overtime, or how much could be attributed to the Woodward servo unit. Woodward originally built steering systems for race applications, where you'd be hard pressed to hear anything above the engine and wind noise.

According to the TCP technical guy, Lino (now with Chris Alston's Chassis Works), Alston's does not recommend using a stock pump in this application. I guess my problem with this is the $600 price tag for the KRC pump. I'm going to have to drop the change on it, since I otherwise like the rack. Always plan to crank in more caster to aid in getting the steering to center.

See if you can undercut TCP

try a Froogle search and see if you can get the KRC pump for less - you have to know the specs of it, though:

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=krc+steering+pump&btnG=Search+Froogle&lmode=unknown&sl=on

70XR7ConvertCat said:
I'm in the same boat. I've had the TCP Power Rack on my '67 Cougar for less than a year. It's not clear to me whether the noise (whining, etc.) is emitted by the stock '93 5.0L ps pump working overtime, or how much could be attributed to the Woodward servo unit. Woodward originally built steering systems for race applications, where you'd be hard pressed to hear anything above the engine and wind noise.

According to the TCP technical guy, Lino (now with Chris Alston's Chassis Works), Alston's does not recommend using a stock pump in this application. I guess my problem with this is the $600 price tag for the KRC pump. I'm going to have to drop the change on it, since I otherwise like the rack. Always plan to crank in more caster to aid in getting the steering to center.

stock ford pumps like the 5.0 mustang and t-bird units are known for making that exact noise when they start getting old. try using a new stock pump and flushing the PS system out first before installing the new pump.

an old mechanic friend of mine had some pretty good success flushing the system with lacquer thinner to get the noise to stop. first add about 6-8 oz. of lacqer thinner and let the engine run for about 5 minutes, then remove the return hose and plug the fitting on the back of the pump. nest start the car up and let the old fluid drain into a pan while adding new fluid to keep up with what is getting flushed out. run at least 2 quarts of PS fluid through the system and maybe 3 or 4 and that should get rid of a lot of the noise.

the reason for the noise is that the fluid is aerating/foaming in the system and causing the pump to cavitate.