help picking exhaust please

dynasty_365

Jan 13, 2010
so i think ive narraowed it down to the pypes system and the magnaflow comeptition exhaust. what do u guys think. i was into the magnaflows til i finally heard the pypes today and i think the pypes r amazing plus they r reasonably priced

pypes videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUagRzwQblM

YouTube - ‪2011 Mustang GT with Pypes Mid Muffler Exhaust‬‏

YouTube - ‪2011 Mustang GT 5.0 - Pypes 3" Super System Exhaust - Drive-by‬‏

magnaflows videos
YouTube - ‪2011 Mustang 5.0 Magnaflow competition axle back‬‏

YouTube - ‪BBR 2011 5.0L Mustang GT with Magnaflow Competition Exhaust‬‏

just a few examples. i think i'm sold on the pypes though cuz of that deep sound and no rasp and that price u can't beat. dnt get me wrong id love some borla atak but i dnt have the bread to break on that loudness at the moment

• Sponsors (?)

Check out the Roush axle back. I love mine as do some others. Look at my Post: Roush Axle Back Rocks! Its loud but not obnoxius. It sounds great going thru the gears in my manual '12 GT. The systems you are looking at are muffler delete systems right? I think you might get more loudness than you bargain for with those. The Roush kit has fairly small mufflers, so they are louder than you would think, probably just a step behind the muffler delete systems. I had no problem drowning out a Harley I was following last Friday night when we both took off at the light. Is your car a manual?

they are axle back from what i read and the pypes actually have resonator tips so u dont get that raspiness that most exhaust give u. and i have a 12 gt manual and i love it. ive had 6 cars and this is my first new vehicle that i've bought and i have the 3.73 gears

yea they do sound the best from what i hear. loud, deep growl similar to the old 5.0 and 2004 gt i had. and the price is nice on them. do u jst have the pype bombs or do u have an x or h pipe also?

Check out the Roush axle back. I love mine as do some others. Look at my Post: Roush Axle Back Rocks! Its loud but not obnoxius. It sounds great going thru the gears in my manual '12 GT. The systems you are looking at are muffler delete systems right? I think you might get more loudness than you bargain for with those. The Roush kit has fairly small mufflers, so they are louder than you would think, probably just a step behind the muffler delete systems. I had no problem drowning out a Harley I was following last Friday night when we both took off at the light. Is your car a manual?

let me make a correction yea they r axle back but they r also muffler delete as well. loud doesnt bother me at all. i like the attention and the deep growl similar to that oldschool muscle

Play it safe

You should check out the Magnaflow Axle Back Exhaust system from Steeda. I chose them because I had to finance them and they didn't charge interest. They also offer a lifetime warranty. So if you want to play it safe and have no regrets I would recommend buying them from Steeda.

I just had them put on a couple weeks ago and they sound great! People definitely know i am coming! :D

exhaust help

I think you are right on the x-pipe sound, however....I am running Dynomax VT mufflers on an offroad x on 06 s197, sound is wicked....takes some getting used to but above 3000 rpm car is awesome. Best of all, absolutely no droan on hwy or cruising.....everyone expects my car to be loud to ride in and it is until you're cruising. Has anyone heard of anyone else with these mufflers?

so i think ive narraowed it down to the pypes system and the magnaflow comeptition exhaust. what do u guys think. i was into the magnaflows til i finally heard the pypes today and i think the pypes r amazing plus they r reasonably priced

pypes videos
‪2011 Mustang GT - Pypes Pype Bomb axle back‬‏ - YouTube

YouTube - ‪2011 Mustang GT with Pypes Mid Muffler Exhaust‬‏

YouTube - ‪2011 Mustang GT 5.0 - Pypes 3" Super System Exhaust - Drive-by‬‏

magnaflows videos
YouTube - ‪2011 Mustang 5.0 Magnaflow competition axle back‬‏

YouTube - ‪BBR 2011 5.0L Mustang GT with Magnaflow Competition Exhaust‬‏

just a few examples. i think i'm sold on the pypes though cuz of that deep sound and no rasp and that price u can't beat. dnt get me wrong id love some borla atak but i dnt have the bread to break on that loudness at the moment

I'm one of those "everything in moderation" types. Also, it depends on what mods you have, internals etc...that make the sound better if you're going to go with something loud. If you've got some cams, intakes, heads all ported and polished and good headers that will make a completely different loud than someone that just puts a loud exhaust on without any mods. They don't sound as good at all with loud exhaust systems. I've had quite a few Harley's as well. I've had and tried several different exhaust systems on both Mustangs and Bikes. My Brother and a friend of his followed me on my bike and they had to back off because it was so....loud. I switched to a two into 1 Vance&Hines, picked up some more HP and I ended up with a deeper, throaty sound and my friends liked riding with me more. The neighbors were happier as well. I don't like that hollow sounding x system that some have at all. Like I mentioned above, If you have a radical cam and other internal pwr mods, it makes a deeper better sound. I guess what I'm saying is be careful what you buy, and when you're listening to the videos on the web look at what mods the person has as well including compression ratio. Sorry to ramble on here, just trying to give you some helpful input that will hopefully help you decide what system to get that you won't end up feeling sorry you bought later, since they're not cheap. When you talk to a Tech from the manufacturer, let them know what mods you have and what type of sound you're looking for. Sometimes a custom exhaust is the way to go as well if you have a good performance exhaust shop near you and you don't mind spending a little bit more. It's worth it in my opinion. Have fun man !

I definitely agree with 03Stangr. I believe in Quality over Quantity. By that I mean go for a better quality sound over pure volume. If volume is all you're looking for, check out SLP. If you want quality, look towards Bassani or Borla. Also keep in mind what you're replacing. New mustangs come stock with stainless exhaust. Cheaper aftermarket exhaust is not stainless, and will look like total ass over time. Try to be patient, do your homework, and remember, you get what you pay for. If you gotta save up a little longer to get that better exhaust, you'll be glad you did later on.

Not so much worried bout the loudness of it I'm more so worried I won't b able to find that old school muscle sound. I like that bass and aggressive deep rumble the pype bombs have. Some of the other exhaust have a more raspy kinda almost euro car kinda sound and I dnt want that. What I'm looking at now is
pype bombs
kooks
stainless works
magnaflow

that's how I'm feeling right now on exhaust and that's rating them from best sound to least sound as far as what I like.

Everybody has there own tone so I like to get a lot of opinions and see what everybody thinks. I'm trying to mimic that old 5.0 90's mustang sound which is a bit harder with the new 5.0's

I am new here and I recently bought an '06 GT. I don't have wads of cash around to just blow on parts. I looked and looked and really like the sound of Flowmasters. Summit Racing sells an in-house brand muffler listed as race mufflers. I had been told that they are just copies of Flowmaster 40 series mufflers. I bought 2 for $69.85 out the door. I put them on this weekend and they sound really awesome! It definately has that old school musclecar sound. I will try to record it and post it here.

Yea I had flowmaster 40 series on my 04 gt. Flowmasters suck on the new 5.0 though IMO. Pype bombs r much louder than the vilolators. I couldn't stand pype bombs on the models before the 5.0 those 99-09 model stangs sounded great with a chambered muffler like flowmaster. More of a straight through kind sounded horrific

it's opposite for these new 5.0's though. They sound better with a smaller muffler or straight through muffler delete than with a big chambered muffler like a flowmaster from what I see

The Hushpower isnt chambered. I'm pretty happy with mine and people seem to like it.

Let me rephrase. Im happy with it for an axleback, and for its pricepoint. There arent any other 5.0s with exhausts near me that i see regularly for comparison.

I like the sound of the pypes bomb....good luck!