Help picking out a cam

Cobain03

Aug 27, 2003
Lexington, Ky
i dont know really what specs to look for when buying a cam. i dont know whats small/big/racing. so heres your/someones job.

help me pick one out! is 200 bucks good enough for a decent cam? its not a race car lol but i want to pick up some power. my mods are in sig.

• Sponsors (?)

i recomend the comp cams xe268h extreme energy cam. it iwll give you good power with decent drivability. when looking at cams though, dont look at specs first, look at what rpm range they are designed to work in, and match that to what you want from your engine. for the street you want a cam that is strong in the 1000-4500 rpm range. you can move this up a bit(500-1000rpm) if you want more top end power, but dont go too far.

I'd use a Comp XE256H. You really don't have anything too far from stock to warrant a big cam, and the 268 is a bit large for a near-stock motor. Besides, the 268H is something like a 25 year old design...at least go with an XE series.
HTH
--Kyle
PS: the 2.8:1 gears are the real killer; bigger gears and bigger cams go together, along with a lot of other stuff

I would really suggest getting some bigger gears. When I had 2.89s even with my big 280H my car was still a dog. I dropped 4.11s, not suggesting those for a cruiser, it came a live big time! I would suggest getting some 3.50s if I was you.